Some foreign missions and donor agencies will monitor today’s screening of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Acting Chairman Ibrahim Magu. Besides, some Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) senators have opted to support Magu’s confirmation as the fourth chairman of the anti-graft agency. The senators reportedly met yesterday.
It was also learnt that Senate President Bukola Saraki briefed the leadership of the chamber on the controversial reports of the Department of State Services (DSS) on Magu. But the details of the brief were kept under wraps as at the time of filing this report.
The embassies, The Nation learnt, directed some of their desk officers, mostly in the intelligence unit, to monitor the confirmation.
Although the notice of the screening was sudden, more than 10 foreign missions and donor agencies have put some officials on the alert to monitor the session.
A top official of one of the missions said: “We heard of the confirmation notice at short notice but we have put all steps in place to monitor the process. “We are interested in Magu’s screening because it might determine the direction of your anti-graft war.
“So far, I think we are about 10 missions and agencies that have compared notes on the screening.” Another said: “We were caught unawares but we will send a representative to the screening to watch the development.
“We want to monitor the process to gauge the mindset of the Senate and Magu.” Responding to a question, the source added: “Some intelligence organisations collaborating with EFCC are interested in the screening too.”
Following the persistent intrigues over Magu’s fate, there is anxiety among some donor agencies, anti-graft war partners and foreign missions. Most of them rate Magu highly.
Some of the donor agencies and partners that have collaborated with the EFCC include United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), US Justice Department, the DFID, FBI, the National Crime Agency( NCA), the Metropolitan Police, the Interpol, City of London police, Serious Organized Crime Agency(SOCA), UK-sponsored Justice 4 All (J4ALL) , the Commonwealth Secretariat, the Western Australia Police and some foreign missions. The UNODC project led to the treatment of more than 5000 petitions, 400 convictions and the recovery of about $6.5billion criminal proceeds.
Some of the assistance to EFCC are as follows:
•The US Federal Bureau of Investigation(FBI) donation of a forensic work station, titled F.R.E.D (Forensic Recovery of Evidence Device).
•The payment of forensic accountant that assisted the EFCC to uncover those accused in the fuel subsidy fraud.
•Joint tactical and operational activities like collaboration with the Interpol, City of London police, Serious Organized Crime Agency(SOCA).
•NCA collaboration with EFCC to probe the oil sector during the tenure of a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison- Madueke.
•Ongoing MoU between EFCC and Western Australia Police are to combat internet fraud and money laundering.
It was learnt that some of the opposition senators claimed that they had decided to support Magu out of their belief in the anti-graft war and commitment to a new order.
About Article Author
He is extremely motivated, organized and disciplined. Nick has have over 6+ years experience with web content management, administrative duties, Excel, Microsoft software, Quick books, Customer Service, as well as email management, internet research and data entry. He is committed to producing top-notch, quality work, which is his driving force.View More Articles
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerians throng Twinkas, another Ponzi scheme despite losing billions to MMM
- Nigerian Senate Uncovers Fresh N10trn Fraud In NNPC
- 5 Things You Should Never Write On Your CV
- See Imo First Flyover Beautifully, Magnificently And Tastefully Completed (pics)
- Emmanuel Daniel Buzabeye 'Edaniels', A Visually Impaired Singer (Photos)
- Driver Allegedly Arrested For Refusing To Give Bribe To Policemen In Lagos. Photos
- Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It - Wole Soyinka
- Fidel Castro dies aged 90
- Priest Who Marked Independence On Refuse Dump In Owerri Sent On Transfer
- See What Embattled Lawmaker Abdulmumin Jibrin Posted About The "Other Room". Photo
- The Moment An Elephant Rushed To Rescue Her "Drowning" Trainer From A River. Photos
- "Buhari?s, Wife?s Comments Was Taken Out Of Context" --says Rochas Okorocha
- Proud Farmer Wins Online Praises For His Massive Farm Produce In Imo - Photos
- See How A Truck Was Almost Swallowed In China After A Road Caved In. Photos
- Lady Who Cheated Death After Tragic Trailer Accident Narrates Her Ordeal - Photos
- Girl Who Tried To Take Selfie Near A Ferris Wheel Loses All Her Hair After Accident. Photos/Video
- Fatal Accident Leaves At Least Nine Dead In Osun State
- PHOTOS: Trailer And Bus Catch Fire In Mile 2, Lagos
- Custom Officers Shoot 4 Residents While Chasing A Smuggler In Badagry
- PHOTONEWS: Woman burnt to death while using phone in
- Sheriff: Factional PDP Chairman appoints his deputy
- Sack SGF for calling national confab “food for boys” – PDP Vice Chairman tells Buhari
- Niger Delta: Another deadly militant group emerges, threatens to shutdown oil facilities
- Disconnect us from your electricity – Hoteliers in Port Harcourt tell PHED
- Wike, security agencies demolish criminal den in Rivers state
- Kaduna State Police Command maps out strategy to curb crimes
- Strike: Ondo government, civil servants’ meeting end in another deadlock
- Osun Hijab drama: Christian, Muslims unions in war of words
- Governor Ikpeazu faults trial court ruling
- Forgery trial: I am witnessing as a Unity Forum member – Ojudu
- Kidnapping: IG orders immediate deployment of Special Forces to Kogi
- CBN to sack Chairmen, MDs of banks over financial statements
- Ikpeazu Files an Appeal Against Removal From Office
- Buhari Feasting With the Rich While His Supporters are Starving -BBOG Campaigner
- 254 Teachers Sue Wike to Court Over 5 Months Salary Arrears
- Niger Delta: US warns militants against violence
- Shehu Sani: Senator lectures Saraki, Ekweremadu on how to live in prison
- Niger Delta: New militant group emerges in Imo
- Argentina football legend Maradona pleads with Lionel Messi not to retire from international football
- See Faces Of The Senators Who Followed Saraki & Ekweremadu To Court Yesterday (WATCH)