Teachers in public primary and junior secondary schools in Kogi State said on Tuesday that they could no longer guarantee quality teaching in the state.
The teachers, under the aegis of the Basic Education Staff Association of Nigeria, told newsmen in Lokoja that the poor welfare condition of members had made quality teaching impossible for now.
The Chairman of the state chapter of BESAN, Mr Ohino Baiye, explained that government had refused to pay members the minimum wage of N18,000 which other workers in the state had been enjoying since 2011.
He also rejected the ongoing 60 per cent payment of teachers salary from the bailout, saying they must be treated equally with other workers by being paid 100 per cent.
“Even the 60 per cent payment made did not go round,” Baiye said.
The chairman also opposed the sudden increase in PAYE deductions from the payment of the outstanding March, April and May salaries of teachers, saying that this must be reversed immediately.
He further appealed to the government to ensure the payment of leave allowance as well as effect promotion and annual incremental steps which had been outstanding in the last six years.
Baiye expressed BESAN’s support for the recent screening of workers in the state, demanding, however, that the report of the exercise be made public as quickly as possible.
But the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Strategy, Alhaji Abdulkarim Abdulmalik, said the 60 per cent wage being paid to teachers was based on the agreement reached with the Nigeria Union of Teachers.
Abdulmalik pleaded with the teachers to be patient as the government was already taking steps to pay them the balance of 40 per cent.
On their outstanding allowances, the adviser said that the issues would be addressed only after the payment of outstanding salary arrears from the bailout funds.
He said that education remains a top priority of the administration, adding that teachers’ welfare and rehabilitation of infrastructural facilities in public schools were at the centre of the reform to be carried out in the education sector.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigerians throng Twinkas, another Ponzi scheme despite losing billions to MMM
- Nigerian Senate Uncovers Fresh N10trn Fraud In NNPC
- 5 Things You Should Never Write On Your CV
- See Imo First Flyover Beautifully, Magnificently And Tastefully Completed (pics)
- Emmanuel Daniel Buzabeye 'Edaniels', A Visually Impaired Singer (Photos)
- Driver Allegedly Arrested For Refusing To Give Bribe To Policemen In Lagos. Photos
- Jimmy Carter Got Me My Green Card, I Never Applied For It - Wole Soyinka
- Fidel Castro dies aged 90
- Priest Who Marked Independence On Refuse Dump In Owerri Sent On Transfer
- See What Embattled Lawmaker Abdulmumin Jibrin Posted About The "Other Room". Photo
- The Moment An Elephant Rushed To Rescue Her "Drowning" Trainer From A River. Photos
- "Buhari?s, Wife?s Comments Was Taken Out Of Context" --says Rochas Okorocha
- Proud Farmer Wins Online Praises For His Massive Farm Produce In Imo - Photos
- See How A Truck Was Almost Swallowed In China After A Road Caved In. Photos
- Lady Who Cheated Death After Tragic Trailer Accident Narrates Her Ordeal - Photos
- Girl Who Tried To Take Selfie Near A Ferris Wheel Loses All Her Hair After Accident. Photos/Video
- Fatal Accident Leaves At Least Nine Dead In Osun State
- PHOTOS: Trailer And Bus Catch Fire In Mile 2, Lagos
- Custom Officers Shoot 4 Residents While Chasing A Smuggler In Badagry
- PHOTONEWS: Woman burnt to death while using phone in
- Sheriff: Factional PDP Chairman appoints his deputy
- Sack SGF for calling national confab “food for boys” – PDP Vice Chairman tells Buhari
- Niger Delta: Another deadly militant group emerges, threatens to shutdown oil facilities
- Disconnect us from your electricity – Hoteliers in Port Harcourt tell PHED
- Wike, security agencies demolish criminal den in Rivers state
- Kaduna State Police Command maps out strategy to curb crimes
- Strike: Ondo government, civil servants’ meeting end in another deadlock
- Osun Hijab drama: Christian, Muslims unions in war of words
- Governor Ikpeazu faults trial court ruling
- Forgery trial: I am witnessing as a Unity Forum member – Ojudu
- Kidnapping: IG orders immediate deployment of Special Forces to Kogi
- CBN to sack Chairmen, MDs of banks over financial statements
- Ikpeazu Files an Appeal Against Removal From Office
- Buhari Feasting With the Rich While His Supporters are Starving -BBOG Campaigner
- 254 Teachers Sue Wike to Court Over 5 Months Salary Arrears
- Niger Delta: US warns militants against violence
- Shehu Sani: Senator lectures Saraki, Ekweremadu on how to live in prison
- Niger Delta: New militant group emerges in Imo
- Argentina football legend Maradona pleads with Lionel Messi not to retire from international football
- See Faces Of The Senators Who Followed Saraki & Ekweremadu To Court Yesterday (WATCH)