How Air Force foiled Boko Haram’s plot to destabilize Sallah celebration

September 3, 2017
196 Views

– The chief of air staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, lauds officers during a feast organised for service men at the 105 composite group in Maiduguri

– Abubakar says insurgents are on the run due to concerted military efforts

– The chief of air staff urges officers and men to remain disciplined, display high sense of professionalism and respect civilians in the discharge of their duties

The Nigerian Air Force has foiled an attempt by Boko Haram terrorists to breach the peaceful celebration of Eid-el Kabir in Borno state.

The Air Force, in a joint operation with the army, reportedly destroyed insurgents’ hideouts which scuttled their plans to attack communities during the festivities.

The chief of air staff, Air Marshal Sadiq Abubakar, lauded the officers during a feast organised for service men at the 105 composite group, Maiduguri, the News Agency of Nigeria report (NAN).

Abubakar had held a grand feast for service men carrying out the counter-insurgency operation in the north-east, as part of the Eid-el Kabir celebration.

“Boko Haram insurgents planned to destabilise the Sallah celebration, but with help of the Almighty Allah and our collective efforts, we foiled their plans.

“Our objective is to protect life and property, safeguard the national territorial integrity and make our communities safe so that farmers can go back to their settlements and cultivate their farmlands.

“We will remain in the forest to protect our people.’’

He said that the insurgents were on the run due to concerted military efforts, but that they have to surrender.

Abubakar congratulated the officers for their dedication and gallantry, saying that Nigerians were proud of their achievements.

The air chief disclosed that the Air Force command had accorded priority to training and improvement of the welfare of its personnel.

He added that arrangement had been concluded for the training of air force personnel within and outside the country, to strengthen defence operations.

“We are sending some service men for training in Jordan.

We are committed to providing logistics, uniforms and ammunition to counter terrorism while construction of housing is in progress to provide decent accommodation for officers and men serving in the counter-insurgency campaign,” he added.

Abubakar urged officers and men to remain disciplined, display high sense of professionalism and respect civilians in the discharge of their duties.

He also commended the people for their support to the service and called on them to provide useful information that would be helpful to the fight against Boko Haram.

Meanwhile, Private Samuel Ernest, who is recuperating from an injury at the 7 Division medical services and hospital, Maiduguri, says he plans to go back to the frontline to continue the fight against Boko Haram terrorists.

He said he was proud of chief of army staff, Tukur Buratai and the army high command that identified with the injured during the occasion.

Similarly, Private Titus Okon, who is also recuperating from injury on one of his laps after he was shot by the Boko Haram terrorists on May 21, expressed gratitude to God that he was getting better.

 

Loading...

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.