14TH FEBRUARY 2018
14TH FEBRUARY 2018 – UPDATES FROM OUR FARMS
Dear Members, thank you very much for your patience and understanding. Here are quick updates from the farm sites:
This is the rice season proper and we are making really good progress. Work has been going on massively on all sites. Much of our updates will be about the rice farms. The following updates are coming from Farm Site 3 and here are the details:
- In order to ensure constant water supply for drainage considering the vast size of this sector of the farms, we have dug five wells that will act as reservoirs. In addition to this, we have to procure an industrial pump and pipe system which will take water from the main river and irrigate our rice farms. For the industrial pump, our crew members are on their way to Onitsha, Anambra State tonight as we do not want to lose any time at all. The vast size of our rice farms means we have to scale up the level of the machinery we are using at some stages so as to get the best outcome. Flooding of the entire rice fields is the next step to be done soon and all these activities are done with the waterworks/borehole personnel. The length of the pipes we are using will be about 1km (one kilometre) in length when joined. Without water, DRY SEASON RICE CULTIVATION is IMPOSSIBLE so that is why we are taking this process extremely serious.
- In order to increase our yield per hectare and ensure more efficiency, our team is making use of SRI (system of rice intensification). We will need a transplanter specifically for this.
- We have also been able to source for adequate labour for work to proceed at a much faster rate at Farm Site 4. More details coming on this.
- Further expansion of the rice farms are still ongoing and interested members can still get their sites and their rice farm groups.
- KWARA MAIZE PROGRAMME: If you are based in Kwara State and you want to take part in the special maize season programme we are organizing, kindly inbox the admin. There is some degree of help to be given to those taking part. This particular programme is open only to those residing or based in Kwara State. Kindly apply quickly to benefit maximally from this.
- The general maize season programmes for the house will be announced asap for those who are interested.
The cassava farms at Farm Site Two are doing really well and our harvest time is projected for around end of this year (late 2018).
The watermelon plants have been growing and fruiting well. After few watering sessions, they should be ready for harvest, packaging and sales according to the farm crew on ground.
These are quick updates at the moment, more detailed updates to be provided as we progress.
FOR THOSE WHO ARE YET TO PAY UP THEIR DUES OR PROVIDE THEIR GROUP FARM OPERATION FUNDS, PLEASE DO SO ON TIME BECAUSE THERE IS NO TIME AND WE DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO DELAY US. WE ALSO THANK THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN DUTIFUL WITH THEIR PAYMENTS.
Kindly see photos and their descriptions below. Thank you very much as always, we deeply appreciate everyone and all questions are welcome.