Controversy is up in the air following the appointment of Dutchman, Danny Makkelie, to officiate Saturday’s Champions League quarterfinal match between Manchester City and Olympique Lyon at the Estadio Jose Alvalade in Lisbon, Portugal, Completesports.com has learnt.
According to a report by L’Equipe, UEFA’s appointment of Makkelie, as the centre referee of a match which result could favour his country’s club Ajax in next season’s Champions League campaign, is debatable.
Ajax, a 10th ranked team by UEFA, will qualify to start next season’s Champions League from the group stage if Manchester City defeat Lyon in Lisbon. City have already picked next season’s UCL spot, while Lyon are the only current quarter-finalists without a berth in the next competition.
Retired Dutch referee, Dick Jol, has promptly weighed into the controversy, dismissing UEFA’s appointment of his compatriot to referee the Man City – Lyon clash as a “misguided and incredibly stupid” decision.
“Given the interests of the Netherlands, UEFA should never have put Danny Makkelie in this situation. I have no doubts about his honesty, but France risks doing a lot on this matter, and asking for a change of arbitrator, ” the 64 year old told L’Equipe.
He insisted: “UEFA should change and give Danny a good semi-final”, he insisted.”
Also Read – Champions League: Leipzig Shock Atletico Madrid To Set Up PSG Semi-final Clash
37 year old former police officer, Makkelie, officiated at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia as a Video Assistant referee (VAR), and could be remembered for a controversial penalty kick he awarded to France against Croatia in the final.
A year later. the Dutchman who has been a FIFA-listed arbiter since 2011, also worked as at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France as a Video Assistant referee. And he masterminded two controversial retaken spot-kicks in the tournament. Firstly, when host France pipped Nigeria 1-0 and Italy’s first goal in 5-0 win over Jamaica.Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others
- MAGU: Malami, Salami at loggerheads as justice minister disobeys presidential panel on certain ground
- Investors shift attention to equities, gain N67bn
- Good news: Only 12 states with Covid-19 new cases (see states)