Legendary Nigerian defender Christian Chukwu has rated the 1994 Super Eagles team better than the 1980 AFCON winning squad and the 1996 Atlanta Olympic gold side the “Dream Team”.
Chukwu captained the then Green Eagles to the 1980 AFCON title on home soil which was the country’s first.
Under Dutch coach Clemens Westerhof, the Super Eagles were crowned African champions.
Also Read: Top 5 Nigerian Footballers In Serie A History
Aside winning the AFCON, the team qualified for the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the United States.
And at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, the U-23 Eagles became the first African team to win football gold in the history of the games.
But speaking on “No Holds Barred” a radio programme on Brila FM anchored by former Eagles left-back Ifeanyi Udeze, Chukwu picked the 1994 squad as the best ever side the country have produced.
“The 1980 team won the Africa Cup of Nations but the 1994 team won the Cup of Nations and also qualified for the World Cup,” Chukwu told Udeze who played under him at the 2004 AFCON in Tunisia.
“But it doesn’t mean the 1980 and Olympic squad are not good but like I said they (1994 team) not only won the Nations Cup but because they were the first side to qualify Nigeria for the World Cup.”Copyright © 2020 Completesports.com All rights reserved. The information contained in Completesports.com may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without the prior written authority of Completesports.com.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Buhari sympathizes with Jigawa flood victims
- Obaseki congratulates Buhari, appeals for extension of rail line to Benin Industrial Park
- Police nabs man who circulated victims’ sex video weeks to wedding
- MAGU: Justice Salami forced to speak on anti-Buhari statement he allegedly made
- Ondo 2020: Ayoola pulls down Oke, weakens Akeredolu, takes over Ondo south
- Breaking: Mailafia problem deepens as court rules
- NCC partners NIRA, ICANN, others on proposed internet projects
- First Female Mace bearer surface in Lagos House of Assembly
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value