There are certain cultures practiced on the African continent that you need to know about if you have not already. These are some of them.
Africa boasts of some of the world’s most fascinating cultures and traditions that dates back to hundred of years. There a couple of fascinating African cultures that you probably don’t know or might not even have heard of. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 4 fascinating African cultures to know.
1. Living With Their Mothers
In the Gio tribe int, Ivory Coast children never live with their fathers. The women of the tribe have their own houses (typically small huts), where they live with their children until the children are old enough to move out.
2. Sons are Raised by Uncles
In the Northern Angolan Songo tribe, when male children reach the age 5 or 6 years, they are sent to live with their uncles on the mother’s side. This is because, in their society, chiefs inherit their titles and positions through matrilineal lines.
3. Preserving Wild Animals
The Massai people of Kenya and Tanzania are averse to killing wild animals. They freely keep cattle and livestock, but wild animals are left untouched. This is largely because they consider these wild animals clan members, and each clan is associated with a specific species which they often keep close to them and treat as a clan member.
4. Beating the Suitor
In the Fulani tribe in West Africa, the custom of beating the suitor is followed as part of the Sharo tradition. The custom is followed when two men are vying for the same woman.
To determine the eventual suitor of the woman, the men are asked to compete for the hand of the woman by beating themselves up. The man who is able to take the beating while showing the least or no sign of pain, can take the woman as a wife. The people of the tribe might not practice the tradition as strictly as they once did, but there are still some parts of the tribe that practice it to the letter.
Latest Nigeria News
- Miyetti Allah floats security outfit; dares Amotekun, others
- Covid-19: Cases rise to 175000
- ICT experts advocate stronger focus on Nigeria’s digital economy
- Dan Etete to lose luxury jet linked to Malabu oil deal
- Corruption allegations, crusade to get me out of office – Obasa
- Covid-19: AU appoints Masiyiwa Special Envoy
- Oshiomhole, APC panic as PDP commences screening of governorship aspirants in Edo
- Okowa signs Judiciary Autonomy Bill into law
- Oshiomhole, Obaseki, test battlefield as APC screens Ize-Iyamu, other aspirants for Edo election
- Naira picks at I&E window despite uncertainty in forex market
- Coronavirus is real, discharged patients recount ordeals
- WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination suffers big setback
- Inadequate metering remains serious change to power sector – NERC
- Nigeria to lose some councils to new country
- Nigeria will not lose councils to new country – Foreign Affairs minister
- Atiku reacts to fuel subsidy removal
- Stock market finishes week on poor note as capitalization drops
- Adult caught abusing a 3-year-old step sister on tape
- NCC boss, Danbatta gets Buhari’s approval for second term
- NNPC takes drastic measures to strengthen profitability
- China desperate to control global information on coronavirus, dictates Facebook’s State media rules
- CBN sanctions UBA, others over failure to meet CRR target
- Edo Primary: Obaseki embroiled in UI certificate forgery allegation
- Christiano Ronaldo leads Messi, makes Forbes Billionaire list
- FG gives marketers powers to fix fuel price
- COVID-19 Waiver: ANLCA collates 800 receipts, as members accuse NECOM of compromise
- Apapa, Tin Can Ports get rail connectivity
- Over 3000 Ministers Outside Christ Embasssy benefit from Pastor Chris Emergency Relief Aid
- Chloroquine Trial: The game WHO, Lancet, others playing with Trump about Covid-19
- Bandits return to Zamfara, kill 21, injure 12
- Gov Sanwo-Olu make U-turn, reopens churches, mosques in Lagos
- How robbers killed eight police officers in Kogi
- Federal Capital Territory issues guidelines for re-opening of churches, mosques
- Okowa assures to sustain development of road infrastructure
- The church will soon be empty if… – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- OPAN commends court on N15m judgement against Police over detention of Online Journalists
- Court foils Reps plot to arrest CUPP Spokesperson, Ikenga Imo
- BREAKING: Chelsea fans jubilate with Frank Lampard on Timo Werner’s move to Stamford Bridge
- Ex- Senate leader vows vengeance for late Barakat Bello
- Sahara Reporters, others shun Lagos Assembly adhoc committee invitation