- Magu said these people are shielding Maina from arrest and prosecution
- He also said that the EFCC is determined to fight corruption to a stop in Nigeria
The acting chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu, has given reasons the commission is yet to arrest the embattled former chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reform, Abdulrahseed Maina.
Magu while speaking during a Channels Television programme on Monday, October 30, said Maina has people who are shielding him from possible arrest and prosecution.
He also said that EFCC operatives were not part of the people protecting the sacked pension boss.
Magu said: "No, it cannot be. Never! Never! He has people who are protecting him which made it difficult for us to get him arrested. You can imagine that he was promoted. It is very devastating and it is beyond my understanding.”
Magu however did not give names of those protecting Maina.
The EFCC czar confirming that Maina has fled the country said the commission is working with INTERPOL to ensure his repatriation.
He also denied claims that the seizure of Maina's property by the EFCC was reactionary to his ordeal at the ministry of interior.
“He has already been declared wanted by the INTERPOL and we are going into several countries to request their assistance particularly in Dubai, USA, and UK. We are already on a serious manhunt.”
When I came in, the matter was already in court and I was so busy pursuing other issues. You need to visit the EFCC to see the volume of work we have.”
I really don’t know what happened but I know he was properly placed on the watch list so he cannot sneak into this country without the knowledge of the law enforcement agencies. So, something is wrong somewhere and I think we need to look at that. It is just terrible and I just cannot believe it," Magu said.
Magu further said that the EFCC is fully committed to its mandate which is fighting corruption to a stop in Nigeria.
Onlinenigeria.com earlier reported that the head of service of the federation, Winifred Oyo-Ita, said she warned President Muhammadu Buhari against the reinstatement of Maina.
Oyo-Ita in a leaked memo to the president warned about the damaging implication of the recall of Maina on the Buhari's administration's mandate to fight corruption in Nigeria.
The letter was sent to the president through his chief of staff, Abba Kyari.
Latest Nigeria News
- EDO: Breaking! APC lawmakers impeach Speaker, seek truce with Obaseki
- EDO: APC, FG intensify effort to impeach Obaseki, PDP cries out; Ize-Iyamu mocks gov
- Ecobank introduces cardless withdrawals at ATMs
- Maintain old pump price, IPMAN tells fuel marketers
- Traditional ruler in trouble for allegedly defiling teenage daughter
- Stay off these states in Nigeria, UK warns citizens
- EDO: Tension rises as loyalists take-off House of Assembly roof, mace
- Workers threaten to shut down airport over sack of pilots, others
- Many goats have been buried at the National Stadium – Christian Chukwu
- Striker we tied with juju still scored against Super Eagles – Christian Chukwu
- Plot to impeach Obaseki looms, Police take over Edo Assembly
- How Fulani militias killed 2,539 people, burnt 7,582 houses within three years in 654 attacks – Study
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole in fresh trouble, Ize-Iyamu trembles
- PDP mocks Ize-Iyamu over rejection by Edo APC
- Oshiomhole’s ambush, Obaseki fights back
- EDO MACE THEFT: Tension as Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu divide assembly, and one APC gov, impeached dep. speaker gun for Speaker Okiye,mace
- Another APC chieftain dies
- Much ado about Manchester United transfer rumours: These are the latest updates Red Devils fans need to know
- Tiktok: Alarming as China gets only six weeks to leave America
- Edo 2020: PDP reduces Oshiomhole political impotency
- Ondo Deputy Gov, Ajayi, compounds Akeredolu’s second term woes
- Virgin Atlantic runs out of cash, files for bankruptcy
- COVID-19 not in breastmilk, WHO allays fears
- Justice at last after girl was raped and murdered by a trusted childhood friend
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole lays fresh ambush for Obaseki, poaches governor’s men
- Chinese loan: Amaechi fires backs at lawmakers
- Like Trump, Buhari watches security agents tear-gas, re-arrest Sowore’s associates, others in renewed RevolutionNow protest
- Sanwo-Olu orders reduction in land use charge
- COVID-19: Another lockdown imminent, says FG
- N40bn probe: Senate Report exposes how NDDC MD, Pondei, staffers shared N4.9bn
- Edo 2020: Deputy Gov, Shaibu, raises red alert on how APC plots to buy votes
- Kingsley Moghalu denies joining APC
- Nigeria Police protest Sahara Reporters malicious report against Inspector General of Police
- Loans Repayment: China’s reaction heightens fear about sovereignty
- Hushpuppi: How FBI got criminal to U.S despite not having an extradition treaty with UAE
- Armed men ambush Correctional Service convoy, free suspects
- FG increases ex-depot price of petrol by N6
- Over 50 people killed as massive explosion rocks Beirut
- How Senate Report indicted NDDC Ag. MD, Pondei, IMC members of 30% kick-back in contract payment
- Service chiefs in fresh panic as Buhari officially orders reengineering of Nigeria’s security apparatus