'Buhari Aware of Maina’s Reinstatement, I Warned Him, He Didn't Listen' — HoS Reveals in Leaked Memo
She however said she warned the President against it.
Oyo-Ita said that her warning was based on the implications such reinstatement would have on the anti-corruption war of the Federal Government.
The HoS stated this in her memo to the Chief of Staff to the President, Mr. Abba Kyari.
The memo, with reference number HSCSF/HCSF/LU/COR/FCSC/750/T, was dated October 23, 2017.
The memo, titled, “Re: Abdulrasheed Abdullahi Maina,” was received in the office of the Chief of Staff to the President on October 23.
A copy of the memo was sighted by our source in Abuja on Monday.
The President had directed the HoS to investigate the circumstances that surrounded the return of Maina to the civil service.
He gave the directive following the public outcry that trailed Maina’s reinstatement.
Maina, whose whereabouts is still unknown, has been accused of embezzling pensioners’ funds running into billions of naira and is currently under investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
Explaining further, the HoS said she met the President after the Federal Executive Council meeting of Wednesday, October 11, where she verbally warned Buhari against bringing Maina back to the service.
She, however, did not say what the response of the President was after briefing him.
Oyo-Ita said, “Please, note that the OHCSF was never in agreement with the reinstatement and consequently never conveyed the approval of the FCPC to Mr. A. A. Maina, nor approved his posting to the Ministry of Interior or any other MDA
“Rather, I sought audience with His Excellency, Mr. President on Wednesday, 11th October, 2017 after the FEC meeting where I briefed His Excellency verbally on the wide-ranging implications of the reinstatement of Mr. A. A. Maina, especially the damaging impact on the anti-corruption stance of this administration.”
The letter partly read, “Further to your letter Ref. SH/COS/100/A/1570 dated 23rd October, 2017 on the above subject matter, I write to inform you of the circumstances leading to the irregular recall of Mr. Abdulrasheed Abdullahi Maina.
“I wrote to place on record the following facts as it permits to Mr. A. A. Maina who was dismissed from service on 21st February, 2013.
“The move to recall Mr. A. A. Maina was at the instance of a series of letters from the Attorney General of the Federation to the Federal Civil Service Commission requesting the commission to give consequential effect to the judgement that voided the warrant of arrest issued against Mr. A. A. Maina which formed the basis for the query and his eventual dismissal.
“The letters herewith attached as Annexes I-III are:
(a) Ref. HAGF/FFCSC/2017/VOL.1/1 dated 19th January 2017,
(b) Ref. HAGF/FFCSC/2017/VOL.1/ 2 dated 21st February 2017; and
(c)Ref. HAGF/FFCSC/2017/VOL.1/1 dated 27th April 2017.
“The FCSC thereafter requested that the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation should advise the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior to consider the AGF’s letter and make appropriate recommendations to the commission and this was so communicated to the Ministry of Interior.
“The Ministry of Interior took the matter to the Senior Staff Committee of the ministry and recommended the reinstatement of Mr. A. A. Maina into the service as Deputy Director.
“The OHCSF forwarded the recommendation to the FCSC which has the constitutional responsibility for appointments, promotion and discipline for further action.
“The FCSC in consideration of the letter from the AGF and the recommendations of the SSC of the Ministry of Interior consequently approved and conveyed the reinstatement of Mr. A. A. Maina with effect from 21st February, 2013 vide letter herewith attached as Annex IV.
“(vi) The letter of reinstatement, as communicated to HCSF Ref. FC. 4029.82/Vol. III/179 dated 18th September, 2017 attached herewith as Annex IV, ostensibly also copied the Ministry of Interior which is the one erroneously used to document Mr. A. A. Maina on a claim that he has resumed work since 28th September, 2017. The Ministry of Interior informed the OHCSF of this development vide letter Ref. MI/1436/II/24 dated 16th October, 2017 from Ministry of Interior stating that Mr. A. A. Maina has resumed with effect from 28th September, 2017 is attached as Annex V.
“Please note that the OHCSF was never in agreement with the reinstatement and consequently never conveyed the approval of the FCSC to Mr. A. A. Maina nor approved his posting to the Ministry of Interior or any other MDA. Rather, I sought audience with His Excellency, Mr. President on Wednesday, 11th October, 2017 after the FEC meeting where I briefed His Excellency verbally on the wide-ranging implications of the reinstatement of Mr. A. A. Maina, especially the damaging impact on the anti-corruption stance of this administration.
“However, I have requested the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, to provide any documentary evidence to support the claim of reinstatement and posting of Mr. A. A. Maina by OHCSF, since after his dismissal.
“The letter to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior is attached as Annex VI. The foregoing is accordingly submitted for your information and further consideration.
“Please accept the assurances of my best regards.”
Latest Nigeria News
- Edo 2020: APC chieftain Tony Momoh slights Oshiomhole for making Obaseki carry Edo treasury to PDP
- Tinubu’s ally, Lanre Rasaq, dies at 74
- Ize-Iyamu’s chieftaincy title: PDP commends Oshiomhole for truthfulness
- Nigerian ladies in viral videos stranded not trafficked, says Ambassador
- EDO: Malami, IGP Adam, federal high court judge set to clash over Edo lawmakers loyal to Oshiomhole
- Barca’s thrashing at hands of Bayern not worst defeat in club’s history
- Edo 2020: Tinubu, Oshiomhole’s comprehensive ‘witchcraft’ plan
- Edo 2020: How Otu of Igarra pens his name on Obaseki’s black book
- Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
- Mailafia’s revelation rattles Buhari, FG now deploys Special Forces to Southern Kaduna
- Ondo Deputy Governor forms alliance with former Governor to defeat Akeredolu
- Southern Kaduna killings: Cracks in north, Middle Belt, minorities declare support for Mailafia
- Over 10 million Nigerians will need humanitarian assistance in 2020 – UN
- Barcelona begins search for new coach
- Nigeria working towards successful takeoff of National Senior Citizen’s Centre
- Over 21 million Nigerians remain unemployed as unemployment rate jumps
- SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
- LEAK: Mailafia’s statement during DSS interrogation different from his press statement
- #RevolutionNow : Is Obasanjo supporting Sowore?
- Edo 2020: Obaseki pulls down Oshiomhole, Ize-Iyamu, APC in Owan East
- Breaking: Ronaldo in Barca’s colours says he is ‘On board’
- As Nigeria govt goes after martyr Mailafia, his story just changes
- Edo 2020: Orbih exposes two reasons people can’t trust Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Security aides repel assassination attempt on Obaseki in Etsako Ward 10
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole desperately trading with Edo election to regain national chairman – APC governors
- MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
- Another 3 Nigerians face tax fraud charges in US
- Why BBNaija should be scrapped – Oba Ogunwusi
- Police swoops on IPOB members, arrest native doctor, others
- Obaseki will end godfatherism, Oshiomhole’s arrogance in Edo – PDP chieftain
- Breaking News: Ronaldo to join Barcelona
- 2023: To counter Tinubu’s media stranglehold, Atiku launches own channel
- Edo 2020, Royal Snub: How Tinubu, APC Chieftains got embarrassed at Oba’s palace
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington passes on at 90
- Lagos Assembly mulls amendment of anti-Cultism Law; sets penalty for cultists parent
- LAHASCOM promotes 103 officers
- Ortom makes bold proposal, urges Buhari to license every Nigerian for AK47 to kill Fulani bandits
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole suffers ‘internal political bleeding’, ambush against Obaseki backfires