Barcelona’s 8-2 thrashing at the hands of Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final on Friday night was not the worst defeat in the club’s history.
Friday evening’s match at Estadio da Luz was the first time in 74 years that the Blaugrana had conceded eight goals in a game – when they were beaten 8-0 by Sevilla in the Copa del Rey in 1946.
But the Bayern masterclass was short of the biggest loss ever suffered by Barcelona, with the Catalans twice losing 11-1 in the 1940’s.
The most humiliating of these defeats came against El Clasico rivals Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey in 1943.
After winning the first leg of the semi-final 3-0, Barcelona completely fell apart in the second leg to lose 11-1.
Three years earlier, the Blaugrana were beaten by the same scoreline in a La Liga match against Sevilla.
Incredibly, Barcelona took an eighth minute lead in the match before all 11 of Sevilla’s goals came within an hour period – from the 23rd to 83rd minutes.
And at the end of the season, Barcelona finished in fourth in the La Liga standings – one position ahead of fifth-placed Sevilla.
In 1935, Barcelona were also beaten 8-2 by Real Madrid with Fernando Sanudo scoring four goals – the most ever by a single player in a fixture between the two sides.
It didn’t look like Friday’s match against Bayern was going to be a bloodbath, when Bayern defender David Alaba put the ball through his own net in the seventh minute – cancelling out Thomas Muller’s strike 180 seconds earlier.
But three more Bayern goals – courtesy of Ivan Perisic, Serge Gnabry and Muller – before half-time put the Bundesliga champions in a commanding position.
Luis Suarez gave Barcelona hope of an extraordinary comeback with his goal 13 minutes after the restart, but Joshua Kimmich found the net shortly to extinguish the La Liga team’s chances.
Between the 82nd and 89th minutes, Bayern scored twice through Philippe Coutinho and once through Robert Lewandowski to put the exclamation on a horrible night in Barca’s history.
This season has been the first that Barcelona has gone without a single trophy since the 2007-08 campaign.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others