Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
Obadiah Mailafia, a former deputy governor of the CBN who currently holds an office in the Nigeria Institute of Policy and Strategy Studies, Kuru, Jos, is all thumbs now as he struggles to save his face from disgrace.
He made a claim during the week, on a popular radio station in Abuja where he fingered a northern governor and President Muhammadu Buhari as part and parcel of Boko Haram and banditry in Nigeria.
Mailafia made more claims about terrorists wiping off rural Nigerians and starting a civil war in 2022. And he added he got his intel from his own security network and former Boko Haram terrorists.
It turns out it’s all a lie—despite swearing he was ready to die in defending his statements.
In an interview with BBC Hausa on Thursday, Mailafia, a failed presidential candidate in the 2019 election, revealed he got the information from “some Fulani traders” in the market, adding he never knew his comments would go viral.
It took Mailafia a number of denials before he owned up to his fake news and conspiracy theories.
The DSS office in Jos invited him for interrogation on Thursday. While he told the agents different stories during the investigation, he came out gain to address a crowd of journalists and rights activists to say something else.
“It is even more condemnable that Mailafiya, who had profusely apologized during his visit to the Service’s Plateau State Command for his ignoble statement, would, afterwards, announce to the world that he stood by his misguided eruption,” an official statement from the DSS said Friday morning.
And by Thursday evening, on the BC Hausa service, Mailafia again did a second-guessing. He said he explained to the DSS what he knew about the incident and apologised for any statements he made that offended others.
He added that he’s a fan of Buhari’s.
This recanting wouldn’t go down well with media activists and lawyers, including the Media Rights Agenda, SAN Femi Falana, the PDP, and other who had risen up in defence of Mailafia when the DSS invited him, and when a N5-million hate-speech fie was slammed on the radio station.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others