The Deputy Governor of Ondo State, Comrade Agboola Ajayi, may have formed an alliance with a former governor of the state to unseat Governor Rotimi Akeredolu in the October 10 governorship election in the state. The alliance may have been the reason Deputy Governor Ajayi dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) after he lost the party’s ticket in the primary election to Eyitayo Jegede, and defected to the Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) led by the former Governor of Ondo State, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko.
Ajayi had defected to the PDP on June 21, 2020 but he was defeated in the primary election by Eyitayo Jegede.
Working with Mimiko could be a plus for the deputy governor. Mimiko had won the governorship election on the platform of the Labour Party before defection to the PDP, which he later dumped to form the ZLP.
More so, Ajayi having control of Ondo South may have Olusola Oke to contend with to defeat Akeredolu. Oke had declared to work with Akeredolu after he lost the APC ticket to the incumbent governor in the party’s primary election.
Ajayi could be reinforced in Ondo Central where Mimiko holds sway. This may put the PDP candidate, Eyitayo Jegede, in tight rope of sharing the control of Ondo Central with Mimiko.
Incumbent Governor Akeredolu appears safe in Ondo North, his district where no renowned candidate is contending with him.
However, the former Secretary to Ondo State Government, Ifedayo Abegunde (Abena), who resigned from the administration of Governor Akeredolu, is also a force to reckon with in Ondo politics.
Abegunde has the potentials that could reinforce the alliance of Deputy Governor Agboola Ajayi with former Governor Mimiko in the ZLP. Apparently, the entire Ondo north may not be an exclusive political domain of the governor.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others