SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
As the APC and the PDP rev up their campaign machines in the run-up to the September 19 guber election, candidate and Gov Godwin Obaseki appears jinxed with loyalists ratting on him when he needs them the most.
More associates just dumped the governor in addition to no fewer than 42, including commissioners, campaign director, board members, who earlier defected to the APC largely believed to be the Adams Oshiomhole camp.
While the earlier defectors had the niceties of couching their resignation in mild, say-nothing letters, the latest party hoppers are not mincing their words.
A senior special assistant from Urhonigbe South ward 8, Faith Obasuyi, who defected at the early hours on Friday, did so with a vengeance.
She said Obaseki is leading the state to the middle of nowhere with his approach to women development.
‘I’m, therefore, not persuaded that the recent activities of the Gov Obaseki administration can lead me to achieving these interest especially when the governor has now abandoned the APC on whose back he rode to power,” said Obasuyi.
“This decision is borne out of my desire to join forces with our great party, the APC to ensure the emergence of a true Orhionmwon man as governor come September 19th, 2020.”
The vice-chairman of Orhionmwon Local Government Area, Hon Christian Iweka, has also dumped the PDP.
Poaching members of the Obaseki camp looks like a good strategy for the Oshiomhole camp.
No fewer than four PDP lawmakers loyal to Obaseki have switched to the Ize-Iyamu side, tipping the scale against the governor in the state house of assembly.
The governor, a political upstart, is up against his former godfather and skillful fighter, according to PDP’s commentator Femi Fani-Kayode. That makes it more likely, some analysts say, for the PDP candidate to get worn out before the election.
Obaseki, too, is flexing the incumbent muscle by shutting down the legislative arm—for fear of impeachment–among his other offensive tackles.
Many political observers have warned the amount of energy going into each party’s preparation could eventually trigger political violence.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others