The security aides of Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State on Thursday repelled assassination attempt on the governor during campaign tour of Etsako West Local Government Area, Edo State. National Daily gathered that gunmen struck at Ward 10, Apena, shooting sporadically in attack on the governor’s convoy and the campaign team of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on their way to the campaign venue.
A combined team of security operatives and vigilante groups were said to have overwhelmed the gunmen and other thugs on ravage at the scene of the violence.
National Daily further gathered that Deputy Governor Philip Shaibu had to come out his SUV vehicle and pursued the attackers out of sight. The gunmen were said to flee on sighting the deputy governor before the PDP campaign team which include Mike Oghiadomhe, Chief of Staff to former President Goodluck Jonathan, proceeded with the movement for the ward-to-ward campaign which extended to Apena Market Square in Ward 10 identified to be the country home of former national chairman if the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole.
The PDP had halted the ward-to-ward campaign in the local government earlier scheduled for August 10 and 11, 2020, after intelligence report revealed plot to attack Governor Obaseki and the PDP campaign team. The campaign, however, resumed on Thursday after re-organizing the security system for the protection of the governor and PDP members.
Governor Obaseki at the campaign rally highlighted his immense support for Oshiomhole to become Governor of Edo State, including his selfless service of raising funds for Oshiomhole and serving in his administration without receiving salaries. He told the audience that Oshiomhole, himself, testified to his support. Governor Obaseki assured the people that he will resist the temptation and provocation to return violence for violence so as not to stall the election in the state.
The governor declared: “as we were coming here, you heard what happened. They went to hire thugs and began to shoot to prevent us from coming here.
“On September 19, 2020, use your PVCs to pepper them. This election is special. It will show who is in charge of politics in Edo State. “For all my eight years in government, you know what I did for Comrade Oshiomhole. He said it with his mouth. I supported him to be Governor; I raised funds for him; I worked for him and Edo State for eight years without receiving a dime.”
However, no casualty was recorded in the gunmen attack. Women and youths, beside others, were said to have thronged to the PDP campaign venue.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Zenith Bank, UBA, others most active as stock market appreciates
- Ondo 2020: Obasanjo moves to reinforce PDP, lobbies Mimiko
- School feeding program fraud: EFCC docks Education Secretary
- NG Clearing gets approval to launch Central Counterparty Clearing House
- Misuse of social media can trigger crisis – Army boss
- Buhari sympathizes with Jigawa flood victims
- Obaseki congratulates Buhari, appeals for extension of rail line to Benin Industrial Park
- Police nabs man who circulated victims’ sex video weeks to wedding
- MAGU: Justice Salami forced to speak on anti-Buhari statement he allegedly made
- Ondo 2020: Ayoola pulls down Oke, weakens Akeredolu, takes over Ondo south
- Breaking: Mailafia problem deepens as court rules
- NCC partners NIRA, ICANN, others on proposed internet projects
- First Female Mace bearer surface in Lagos House of Assembly
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News