MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
“Mr Malami cannot be indulged or treated differently from Magu. To do so would send a disastrous signal.”
Those are parts of the warning international communities are sending to President Muhammadu Buhari and his secret investigative panel shielding AGF Abubakar Malami whose corruption allegations are reverberating across the world.
In a letter addressed to President Buhari on Tuesday, CornerHouse, Re: Common, and Global Witness, three international anti-corruption NGOs, more or less accused Buhari of favouritism as they expressed their disappointment in the administration they used to defend.
“We have long defended your anti-corruption campaign against malign charges that it is targeted against political opponents and that friends of your administration are protected,” the group wrote.
“Were Attorney-General Malami to remain uninvestigated, we fear that the ground would be cut from beneath our feet. What is sauce for the goose must be sauce for the gander.”
Malami orchestrated the probe of the suspended chairman of the EFCC, Ibrahim Magu, largely because of alleged insubordination, as the commission operates under justice ministry.
But the investigation, led by retired Justice Ayo Salami, has exposed the underbelly of the justice minister, especially as media reports by Sahara Reporters keep unearthing Malami’s unexplained wealth, including 27 landed properties worth billions of naira in Abuja, Kebbi, Kano, and Sokoto.
The Salami panel, however, has turned a blind eye to the corruption allegations against Magu’s chief petitioner.
The retired justice and his panel are already being discredited in Nigeria—just as Buhari is losing his edge as a corruption fighter in circles where he was once respected.
The three international NGOs have offered Nigeria, especially the EFCC under Magu, a big hand in recovering loot scattered abroad by politically exposed persons in the country.
The Salami panel, secretly inaugurated inside Aso rock few weeks ago, has however undone the effort of the 13-year-old commission and its international collaborators.
It has practically emasculated the anti-graft agency as it recommended suspension of Magu, all his directors, and many more.
They regret their efforts have been hijacked by Malami and others in Buhari’s government.
The NGOs however consider the efforts in helping Nigeria done in the public interest, not in search of financial reward.
“We hope that this record has earned us some measure of respect and that you will indulge us if we are frank.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others