The Imo state police command says it has arrested a native doctor and 67 members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Imo State on their way to meet a native doctor.
The Commissioner of Police, Isaac Akinmoyede, in a police bulletin, said the suspects were on their way to consult a native doctor, Cyprian Amadi, of Abashieke Egbema in Ohaji/Egbema LGA.
The police chief said the suspects may have been planning an attack on security agencies.
According to Akinmoyede, the native doctor had removed bullets from one of the suspects who had gunshot injuries in the past.
He said: “It is also noteworthy that the group attacked and snatched two rifles from policemen during a violent protest in 2018, which were later recovered from a kidnap gang in a robbery operation.”
Operatives of the 34 Field Artillery Brigade intercepted the IPOB members at about 09.30 am at Mmahu Egbema checkpoint.
The operatives, Akinmoyede said, called for reinforcement from the Divisional Police Headquarters, Egbema, who swiftly mobilised to the scene.
The suspects are the 68-year-old native doctor Cyprian Amadi, Wilfred Bassey (21), Fidelis Okedi (31), Obinna Iloka (29), Anyachukwu Okere (47), Emmanuel Obidiaku (32), Obiagwu Tochukwu (38), Onyedikachi Njoku (38), Gerald Amaeshi (28), Ebuka Osuji (20) and Otumbadi John (25).
The others are Amadi Ugochukwu (19), Uche Thadeus (37), Ugochukwu Ohaowe (32), Francis Uwakwe (24), Ikechukwu Uba (37), Ifeanyi Chimezie (20), Ibeajah Alexander (35), Chibuike Nkurum (38), Uche Samuel (30), Nnachi Augustine (30), Chinedu Akuekwe (33), Madu Samuel (35) and Ifeanyi Ahanonu (22).
Also arrested were Nze Emmanuel (20), Njoku Kosidi (34), Ibe Joshua (20), Nneka Oparaku (34), Ikechukwu Okwu (38), Ikeada Kelechi (45), Okoro Ude (25), Izuchukwu Uzoma (28), Chibuzo Unakalamba (29), Wisdom Mbudu (18), Izuchi Osuji Solomon (18), Mathew Nwachukwu (25), Nnamdi Okara (28), Chukwuma Udechukwu (26) and Donatus Uchenna (25).
The others are Chisogonus Eke (24), Sopuruchi Alanwoke (33), Chekube Asoluka (28), Lienam Olachi (45), Onwuduruba Happiness, Chinedu Unakalamba (34), Chikezie Ihejieto (43), Francisca Nkwocha (50), Peter Metu (24), Raphael Oriaku (33), Ogechi Opara (21), Samson Okoh (30), Okwudili Fidelis (28) and Nnamdi Nwanna (25).
The rest are Prince Chimezie Njoku Nwasi (35), Obinna Ajaegbu (38), Ogechi Okwu (40), Joseph Nwaolisa (29), Onuegbu Emmanuel (18), Akachi Chilekpe (27), Francis Umezuruike (20), Uchenna Nwankwo (34), Chigozie Nkwocha (34), Kelvin Okonkwo (34), Ibeto Emmanuel (47), Chinazom Anyanwu (32), Monday Esowune (32) and Ogbonna Kenneth (32).
IPOB Media and Publicity Secretary Emma Powerful asked the government and to security agencies to let IPOB members be.
Powerful added: “We are warning the Nigeria government and her security agencies to let IPOB be because we are peaceful in all our activities since the formation of this noble movement to liberate our people.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Zenith Bank, UBA, others most active as stock market appreciates
- Ondo 2020: Obasanjo moves to reinforce PDP, lobbies Mimiko
- School feeding program fraud: EFCC docks Education Secretary
- NG Clearing gets approval to launch Central Counterparty Clearing House
- Misuse of social media can trigger crisis – Army boss
- Buhari sympathizes with Jigawa flood victims
- Obaseki congratulates Buhari, appeals for extension of rail line to Benin Industrial Park
- Police nabs man who circulated victims’ sex video weeks to wedding
- MAGU: Justice Salami forced to speak on anti-Buhari statement he allegedly made
- Ondo 2020: Ayoola pulls down Oke, weakens Akeredolu, takes over Ondo south
- Breaking: Mailafia problem deepens as court rules
- NCC partners NIRA, ICANN, others on proposed internet projects
- First Female Mace bearer surface in Lagos House of Assembly
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News