The former national chairman of the All Progressives Congress, (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, may currently be undergoing a bitter wrangle over the battle for the soul of Edo State in the September 19 governorship election. There are indicators that the former APC chairman may be suffering seeming ‘internal political bleeding’ losing crucial support bases to incumbent Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and hypothetically, affecting the election fortune of Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, APC candidate.
The APC candidate and the former chairman encountered unexpected humiliation from traditional rulers in Esan Land in Edo Central on Monday. Besides, some other silent discontent APC leaders who have been passive in the electioneering campaign of Ize-Iyamu include two former Governors of Edo State, Chief Odigie-Oyegun and Professor Osunbor. National Daily inquiry found that the two former governors had earlier declared their support for Governor Obaseki before his defection from APC to PDP. They are still standing by their words and have not been participating in Ize-Iyamu’s campaign.
National Daily learnt that Oshiomhole suffered a devastating setback when one of his former aides, Andrew Momodu, dumped the APC for the PDP. Momodu did not only decamp from APC to PDP, he further donated N5 million to Obaseki’s campaign. National Daily also learned that Momodu further promised to deliver 6,000 votes from the polling units within his constituency to Obaseki.
Oshiomhole had earlier laid ambush for Obaseki, poaching the governor’s appointees, which were attributed to the reported resignation of some political appointees from the state government and their defection from the PDP to the APC. The pendulum appears to be swinging in the opposite direction now. The former chairman’s men are beginning to voluntarily dump the APC for the PDP and supporting incumbent Governor Obaseki.
Moreover, National Daily gathered that the traditional ruler of Anwain Kingdom in Etsako East Local Government Area, Edo North, the Eramah Anwian, His Royal Majesty, Mufutairu Oare, has promised incumbent Governor Obaseki the support of the people in his kingdom. The royal father was said to have made the promise when Governor Obaseki visited his palace on Tuesday during the PDP campaign in the wards of the local government.
“Mr. Governor, we are assuring you that you are at home. This community road has been a disaster for over a thousand years until your intervention.
“We were cut off from Edo State until you gave us a good road that integrated us back as members of the state. We cannot forget such a gesture,” the royal father was cited to have declared. He affirmed that the time to compensate Obaseki for his good works have come.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others
- MAGU: Malami, Salami at loggerheads as justice minister disobeys presidential panel on certain ground
- Investors shift attention to equities, gain N67bn
- Good news: Only 12 states with Covid-19 new cases (see states)