EFCC: Justice Salami descends gradually into disrepute as Magu camp, PACAC, others expose hidden agenda
Some among anti-corruption watchers in Nigeria, including lawyers, NGOs, and presidential advisers, are already targeting Justice Ayo Salami as they vent their frustration with the on-going investigation of the suspended boss of the EFCC Ibrahim Magu.
Wahab Shittu, the lawyer to Magu, has again written to the Salami-led Judicial Commission of Inquiry, and he is highly critical of the integrity of the panel leadership.
Shittu’s letter was coming after the chairman of the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, Prof Itse Saga,y picked holes in the membership of the panel, and distanced himself from the Aso Rock politics.
According to Sagay, most of the Salami panel members are drawn from agencies that Magu was prosecuting.
A coalition of anti-corruption NGOs has also petitioned President Muhammadu Buhari to cover AGF Abubakar Malami in the panel probe. Malami, swimming in a cesspool of corruption allegation, is believed to have pocketed the panel.
But the panel has turned a deaf ear, focusing on Magu alone.
And Shittu has described this and other loopholes Salami ignores as illegalities and violation of Magu’s right to fair hearing.
Below is the summary
“In summary, we have concerns regarding the legality of the honourable tribunal in the areas highlighted above such as:
“The tribunal has consistently sat in private (camera) and not in public of the applicable law;
“The tribunal has held proceedings and invited and entertained witnesses to the exclusion of our client and his counsel in violation of the applicable law on rules of fair hearing.
“The tribunal has sat and conducted proceedings in the absence of our client in violation of the applicable law and rules of fair hearing.
“The detention of Mr. Magu and subsequent denial of Mr. Magu’s detention by both your panel and the police.
“The suspension of twelve officials (investigators and prosecutors) of the EFCC without query, interrogation, or any other expected standard treatment for such an action.
“The appearance of several conflicting reportage in the media without any official statement from your committee;
“Failure to allow Mr. Magu’s counsel to cross-examine our client’s accusers and witnesses.
“Failure of the committee to reveal its mandate, terms of reference and timeline until August 8, 2020(35 days after the panel was expected to have commenced public sitting by virtue of the instrument of mandate. It is also unclear whether proceedings of the panel before the date of the issuance of the instrument of mandate will be deemed to be part of the forty-five days timeline prescribed in the instrument of mandate or proceedings will be deemed to commence when our client was served the instrument of mandate on 8th August 2020.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others