Several youths and women in Edo State on Friday took to the streets of the state capital, Benin City, to challenge the acts of impunity and lawlessness by the Edo State All Progressives Congress (APC). The youths and women cautioned APC against anti-democratic acts and threat to peace in the state.
National Daily gathered that the youths and women were joined by supporters of the People Democratic Party (PDP) in their protest at the Edo State House of Assembly which was taken over by the Police of Thursday as the state was thrown into political turmoil. The Police and other security operatives were said to be at the Assembly to protect the facility.
The protesting Edo youths and women expressed their solidarity and support for Governor Godwin Obaseki. They were said to have prayed for the restoration of peace in the state.
The protesting youths and women also declared their support for the Speaker of the Edo House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Frank Okiye. They affirmed their recognition of Okiye as the Presiding Officer of the State House of Assembly in Edo.
The angry youths expressed their opposition to the illegal Speaker of the House, Victor Edoror, who was said to be sworn in by 17 APC lawmakers on Thursday, 14 of whom were identified not to be official members of the Edo State House of Assembly. The protesters, accordingly, rejected the inauguration of the 14 lawmakers-elect in Edo at a private residence in Benin City. The protesters argued that the inauguration of the legislators violated the law, insisting that the lawmakers have lost their seats after they failed to participate in legislative proceedings for a period prescribed by the law upon which their seats were declared vacant.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others