Less than six weeks to the Sept. 19 guber election in Edo, the two leading parties have engaged in hard tackles that are already paralyzing key institutions, including the state assembly, in the south-south state.
In a flurry of events in the last few days, the assembly’s Deputy Speaker Yekini Idiaye was impeached, plans were hatched to impeach the PDP candidate and Gov Godwin Obaseki, and the APC planned to disrupt the legislative house by bringing a fake mace.
The crisis hit a fever pitch on Thursday when the APC lawmakers-elect loyal to the party’s former national chairman Adams Oshiomhole were said to be gathering for the putsch on the premises of the assembly complex under renovation for months. (Idiaye was impeached inside one of the offices the governor provided in the state secretariat.)
Truckloads of police would later descend on the complex .
While most of the triggers of this escalating tension remain allegations, the parties and their candidates are not taking things lightly.
The PDP alleged it was the federal government mobilized security operatives to take over the state House of Assembly—because its candidate Obaseki’s popularity is growing.
“Breaking News! Irked by the growing popularity of @GovernorObaseki of Edo state and overwhelming acceptance by his people, the @OfficialAPCNg led Federal Government has mobilized @PoliceNG and other security agents to take over the state house of assembly. This is totally unacceptable,” PDP tweeted on Thursday.
The party added that Oshiomhole is the hand in the glove in all this crisis.
But the APC candidate, Osagie Ize-Iyamu, taunted the PDP, asking who controls the police.
Recapping the lingering crisis that dates back to inauguration of the current assembly, Ize-Iyamu said Obaseki is the best person to account for the Thursday siege.
“Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, or the APC, does not control the Police,’ he said.
“The Edo State Government should explain to the world and Edo people what is going on. And they can start by explaining why a branch of government meant to carry out oversight functions and check the excesses of the Executive arm has been holding plenary inside the Government House for months over a supposed ‘fumigation and renovation exercise’ at the Assembly Complex’.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others
- MAGU: Malami, Salami at loggerheads as justice minister disobeys presidential panel on certain ground
- Investors shift attention to equities, gain N67bn
- Good news: Only 12 states with Covid-19 new cases (see states)