Chairman of the Akwa Ibom state chapter of the All Progressives Congress, Ini Okopido is dead.
According to family and multiple sources, the 57-year old died at Ibom Multispecialty Hospital (IBH), Uyo on Wednesday, just some months after his elder brother, Dr. Ime Okopido died.
The senior brother, aged 79, is yet to be buried.
Reports said the younger Okopido died of multiple organ failure, after a protracted illness and surgery.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) confirmed the death .
Deputy National Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena said: “Our great party has lost a fine gentleman and grassroots politician who was at the forefront of mainstreaming the APC as the party of choice in Akwa Ibom State.
“The late Okopido was a stabilising force who provided a listening ear to all party supporters, members, leaders and other stakeholders not only in Akwa Ibom State, but in the South South and national level of our party.
“He was a critical partner in the ongoing reconciliation and repositioning efforts being undertaken by the Governor Mai Mala Buni-led APC Caretaker/Extra-ordinary National Convention Planning Committee.
“He will be sorely missed.
“Our great party extends condolences to his immediate family, the Akwa Ibom State Executive Committee and indeed the entire APC family.
” We pray the Almighty God comforts all that mourn and grant him eternal rest”.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News
- Civil servants, pensioners, receive September salaries, pension in Edo
- Nigeria @ 60: let’s celebrate unity first
- EDO: Obaseki discovers Buhari’s congratulations veiled
- Electricity and fuel price economics, other stories
- The essence of the revolution value
- EDO: Wike’s reaction to Obaseki’s likely defection to APC confirms PDP’s fear
- BREAKING: APC suspends Fayemi
- Global Prayer Day: A Call of the Spirit in these Last Hours
- Commerce: Imota Rice mill targets production of 2.4m,50kg bags of rice per annum
- Lagos pushes for stiffer punishment for cultists, unlawful societies
- Gas tanker explosion cuts off communities from electricity supply, burns cars, shops in Lagos
- Bomb scare in Lagos
- Fresh crisis hits Ekiti APC over suspension of Ojudu, 10 others