One of the political leaders in the north, Tanko Yakassai, says the presidency would not go to Ndigbo on a platter of gold, as it requires the endorsement of at least 25 per cent of at least 24 states to make it possible.
Appearing on a television programme on Tuesday, the elder statesman, said South East need to calm down and play their politics right if they want the presidency to go to their region in 2023.
He said, “I know there is agitation by the South-East because they have never tasted it (presidency). South West has tasted it, the North has and still tasting it, South-South has through Goodluck Jonathan…
“I have tremendous sympathy with the people of South-East because out of the three major Ethnic groups, Igbo Yoruba, Hausa, it is only the Igbo that has never tasted it. That has not satisfied the yearning of the defunct NPN leaders who were thinking that zoning and rotation should take care of the yearning of every section of the country.
“But I want to say that our compatriot from the South-East should wake up and realize that Nnamdi Kanu would not be a type of people who will take the presidency to the South-East because you need 25 per cent of votes from 24 states.
“There are no 24 states in any section of Nigeria, you must gain from the North and gain from the South. Nobody can dash presidential office or any elective office to anybody.
“Well by their own fortune or misfortune, the South-East is virtually a land-lock area, not only in terms of proximity to the sea but also in terms of relationship with other Nigerians, Hausas and Yorubas.”
The elder statesman went further to suggest that the major challenge the Igbo would face in the quest to produce the next president would be from the south west and not with the North.
This he said was because the South-East was in competition with the South-West and not with the North.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Zenith Bank, UBA, others most active as stock market appreciates
- Ondo 2020: Obasanjo moves to reinforce PDP, lobbies Mimiko
- School feeding program fraud: EFCC docks Education Secretary
- NG Clearing gets approval to launch Central Counterparty Clearing House
- Misuse of social media can trigger crisis – Army boss
- Buhari sympathizes with Jigawa flood victims
- Obaseki congratulates Buhari, appeals for extension of rail line to Benin Industrial Park
- Police nabs man who circulated victims’ sex video weeks to wedding
- MAGU: Justice Salami forced to speak on anti-Buhari statement he allegedly made
- Ondo 2020: Ayoola pulls down Oke, weakens Akeredolu, takes over Ondo south
- Breaking: Mailafia problem deepens as court rules
- NCC partners NIRA, ICANN, others on proposed internet projects
- First Female Mace bearer surface in Lagos House of Assembly
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News