Following agitations from different quarters that the Presidency should be zoned to the South in 2023, the Rivers state, Nyesom Wike, has said the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) is focused on winning the 2023 presidential elections and not relying on zoning.
Wike who disclosed this on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily programme on Tuesday, explained that only the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) can afford the luxury of zoning.
Wike explained that when he contested the Rivers governorship election in 2015, there were suggestions he should not be given the PDP’s ticket, as he is from the same zone as his predecessor, Rotimi Amaechi. But he was eventually allowed to run out of necessity.
“As an opposition party, we look at all variables. What will make us win the election (comes) first. That is what is important to us. The ruling party can say that (zoning) but for the opposition party, there are variables.
“So, it will be wrong for me as an opposition person to say this must be done now. No, I will not do that,” Wike said.
President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew and ally, Mamman Daura, stirred up controversy last week, when he stated that zoning should not determine who emerges the next President in 2023.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Zenith Bank, UBA, others most active as stock market appreciates
- Ondo 2020: Obasanjo moves to reinforce PDP, lobbies Mimiko
- School feeding program fraud: EFCC docks Education Secretary
- NG Clearing gets approval to launch Central Counterparty Clearing House
- Misuse of social media can trigger crisis – Army boss
- Buhari sympathizes with Jigawa flood victims
- Obaseki congratulates Buhari, appeals for extension of rail line to Benin Industrial Park
- Police nabs man who circulated victims’ sex video weeks to wedding
- MAGU: Justice Salami forced to speak on anti-Buhari statement he allegedly made
- Ondo 2020: Ayoola pulls down Oke, weakens Akeredolu, takes over Ondo south
- Breaking: Mailafia problem deepens as court rules
- NCC partners NIRA, ICANN, others on proposed internet projects
- First Female Mace bearer surface in Lagos House of Assembly
- Odua Republic agitators, Igbo clash over Awolowo’s role in history, and northeastern alliance with Igbo
- ICPC uncovers N2.67bn fraud in FG’s school feeding programme
- Ex-Bayelsa Governor, Dickson, aide argues over debt in leaked audio
- Nigeria @ 60: Oyegun expresses sadness over Nigeria’s situation
- Investors gain N98.51bn as NSE market capitalization hits N13.853 trillion
- Senator Abbo guilty of assault, slammed with N50m in damages
- How APC government beguiled NLC, TUC into agreement to suspend national strike
- Nigeria’s 36 governors drag Buhari to court
- Realnews holds eighth anniversary lecture
- Lagos legislature appoints new Clerk
- INEC commences experimentation of electronic voting
- Uduaghan ends sojourn in APC, retraces way to PDP
- Labour unions succumb to pressure, suspend nationwide protest
- Donald Trump’s tax secrets revealed
- PDP re-strategizes, woos Obasanjo, Jonathan, others
- Spotlight of battles to eradicate godfatherism in Nigeria
- Again, Zulum’s convoy in fresh attack by Boko Haram
- STRIKE: Here’s the deal for which Labour compromised with FG during negotiation
- Strike: Labour doublespeak confusing Nigerians
- Polish, 119 others ready to serve jail time for 13-year-old sentenced in Kano
- NAF sentences officer for 21 years, demotes others in multimillion fraud sentence
- How International Security Support Contributed to Mali’s Coup
- Varsity offers free tuition to all candidates interested in agric
- Boko Haram attacks gov second time, casualty figure rising
- Obasanjo sits on the floor in Pa Fasoranti’s house
- Nigeria: Sale of assets as dangerous policy myopia?
- Radical Muslims Wage War for Control of Nigeria, Christians Suffering ‘Massive Attacks’ – CBN News