A 12-year old girl that was rescued by authorities has revealed how she was forcefully married off to two different men within the spate of one month by her father.
The girl who is simply identified as Naisula was in Standard six at Enkare-Nairowua Primary School in Kenya when she was first married off to a 51-year-old. The marriage only lasted for two weeks.
She was to be the second wife. “Our father had forcefully married off my two elder sisters and I was the only one remaining. When schools were closed he planned to marry me off,” she said.
The man had promised to give four cows for dowry, but since the local administration was monitoring the girl’s father’s movement, the handover was shelved to a later date. The Maasai community gives four cows to signify that marriage has taken place.
“I escaped and since I could not go back to my father’s home for fear of being reprimanded, I eloped with a 35-year-old man, who was married,” she said.
“I want to continue with my studies and be a dependable person in future. I appeal to the government to help me return to school),” she pleaded.
“We were tipped off by the public that there was a girl that had been married off twice. We trailed her for three days and we managed to rescue her. We are working with well-wishers to get her a safe haven while hunting for the culprits,” said Area Chief Rimoine Maiyone.
The chief said police were looking for the father of the girl and the two “husbands” who have since gone into hiding.
The administrator said the girl’s father was yet to receive dowry from the men for fear of being arrested, since payment of the bride price is a big ceremony in the Maasai culture.
Naisula’s plight is a classic example of how closure of schools to curb spread of Covid-19 has impacted negatively on the girl child in pastoral communities.
“Girls in Maasai land are facing a bleak future in the wake of Covid-19. If concerted efforts are not made to save them we shall have no girl reporting back to school by next year due to FGM, early marriage and teenage pregnancies,” said Kaputa.
Area Children’s Director Pilot Khaemba said for the last three months, about 30 girls had been rescued from early marriages and taken to rescue centres, while culprits are facing charges in court.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Barca’s thrashing at hands of Bayern not worst defeat in club’s history
- Edo 2020: Tinubu, Oshiomhole’s comprehensive ‘witchcraft’ plan
- Edo 2020: How Otu of Igarra pens his name on Obaseki’s black book
- Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
- Mailafia’s revelation rattles Buhari, FG now deploys Special Forces to Southern Kaduna
- Ondo Deputy Governor forms alliance with former Governor to defeat Akeredolu
- Southern Kaduna killings: Cracks in north, Middle Belt, minorities declare support for Mailafia
- Over 10 million Nigerians will need humanitarian assistance in 2020 – UN
- Barcelona begins search for new coach
- Nigeria working towards successful takeoff of National Senior Citizen’s Centre
- Over 21 million Nigerians remain unemployed as unemployment rate jumps
- SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
- LEAK: Mailafia’s statement during DSS interrogation different from his press statement
- #RevolutionNow : Is Obasanjo supporting Sowore?
- Edo 2020: Obaseki pulls down Oshiomhole, Ize-Iyamu, APC in Owan East
- Breaking: Ronaldo in Barca’s colours says he is ‘On board’
- As Nigeria govt goes after martyr Mailafia, his story just changes
- Edo 2020: Orbih exposes two reasons people can’t trust Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Security aides repel assassination attempt on Obaseki in Etsako Ward 10
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole desperately trading with Edo election to regain national chairman – APC governors
- MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
- Another 3 Nigerians face tax fraud charges in US
- Why BBNaija should be scrapped – Oba Ogunwusi
- Police swoops on IPOB members, arrest native doctor, others
- Obaseki will end godfatherism, Oshiomhole’s arrogance in Edo – PDP chieftain
- Breaking News: Ronaldo to join Barcelona
- 2023: To counter Tinubu’s media stranglehold, Atiku launches own channel
- Edo 2020, Royal Snub: How Tinubu, APC Chieftains got embarrassed at Oba’s palace
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington passes on at 90
- Lagos Assembly mulls amendment of anti-Cultism Law; sets penalty for cultists parent
- LAHASCOM promotes 103 officers
- Ortom makes bold proposal, urges Buhari to license every Nigerian for AK47 to kill Fulani bandits
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole suffers ‘internal political bleeding’, ambush against Obaseki backfires
- Okowa felicitates with Sen. Osakwe at 72
- Wike sacks SA, dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street trading
- New Fuel Price: NNPC progress in error
- EFCC: Justice Salami descends gradually into disrepute as Magu camp, PACAC, others expose hidden agenda
- BREAKING: At last, the Red Devils fans can celebrate as United are set to find a way around Jadon Sancho’s transfer to Old Trafford