As the nation mourns the death of her first Combat Pilot. There has been some few misrepresentation of the facts by some media houses. While many are reporting the news of the departed to be Nigeria’s first female pilot. Others have had to take the pains of correcting the error on social media.
Forinstance, controversial blogger, Kemi Oluloyo tweeted, “Tolu Arotile is not actually the FIRST Nigerian helicopter pilot. She’s the first combat pilot. Every media got it WRONG. I got my license 2003 to fly airborne on traffic news assignments with late Capt Herb Emory. I don’t know the first but it’s SAD TO HEAR THAT SHE DIED if true”.
According to wikipedia, she is a native of Ukwa East in Abia State, Eastern Nigeria, Kalu grew up under the care of her mother after the separation of her parents. She grew up in a very supportive big family. She decided to begin her career in aviation because of her adventurous aunt, well known for overseas travelling.
She had her primary school education at Anglican Girls Grammar School, Yaba, Lagos State, before she trained as a private and commercial pilot in 1978 at the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology, Zaria under SP.12 Batch.
She subsequently took several aviation and transport courses in the United Kingdom and the United States before she received her license as a commercial pilot on 20 May 1981, from the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology.
In October 2011, President Goodluck Jonathan appointed her the rector and chief instructor of the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology. In February 2014, she was succeeded by Captain Samuel Caulcrick.
She is a member of the Nigerian Women Achievers Hall of Fame and also a member of the Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which was conferred upon her in 2006.
Other awards on her include the African International Achievers Merit Award 2007; the Rare Gems Professional Achievements Award 2007; and Nigeria’s 50 Greatest Women of Democratic Administration of Ghana 2012.
In a series of tweets Air Mashal Abubakar, the Nigerian Chief Of Air Staff, had lofty memories about the lateTolu:
“I was heart broken when I received the sad news of the death of Flying Officer Tolulope Arotile yesterday in Kaduna. Tolulope, who was winged in October 2019, as the first female @NigAirForce combat helicopter pilot, was one of our shining young stars.
“She was a very intelligent, disciplined, confident & courageous young officer who added value wherever she served. As a squadron pilot in Operation GAMA AIKI in Minna, Niger State, she flew her quota of anti-banditry combat missions to ensure a safer, more secured Nigeria.
“I recall meeting her at the Minna Airport, while on operational visit, after one of such missions & seeing her eagerness to contribute towards the restoration of lasting peace to the affected areas. Her death is a huge loss to @NigAirForce family & indeed the entire Nation.
“On behalf officers, airmen, airwomen & civilian staff of @NigAirForce, I once more condole with the family of late Flying Officer Arotile over this irreparable loss & sincerely pray that the Almighty God grants her soul eternal rest”.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Barca’s thrashing at hands of Bayern not worst defeat in club’s history
- Edo 2020: Tinubu, Oshiomhole’s comprehensive ‘witchcraft’ plan
- Edo 2020: How Otu of Igarra pens his name on Obaseki’s black book
- Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
- Mailafia’s revelation rattles Buhari, FG now deploys Special Forces to Southern Kaduna
- Ondo Deputy Governor forms alliance with former Governor to defeat Akeredolu
- Southern Kaduna killings: Cracks in north, Middle Belt, minorities declare support for Mailafia
- Over 10 million Nigerians will need humanitarian assistance in 2020 – UN
- Barcelona begins search for new coach
- Nigeria working towards successful takeoff of National Senior Citizen’s Centre
- Over 21 million Nigerians remain unemployed as unemployment rate jumps
- SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
- LEAK: Mailafia’s statement during DSS interrogation different from his press statement
- #RevolutionNow : Is Obasanjo supporting Sowore?
- Edo 2020: Obaseki pulls down Oshiomhole, Ize-Iyamu, APC in Owan East
- Breaking: Ronaldo in Barca’s colours says he is ‘On board’
- As Nigeria govt goes after martyr Mailafia, his story just changes
- Edo 2020: Orbih exposes two reasons people can’t trust Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Security aides repel assassination attempt on Obaseki in Etsako Ward 10
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole desperately trading with Edo election to regain national chairman – APC governors
- MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
- Another 3 Nigerians face tax fraud charges in US
- Why BBNaija should be scrapped – Oba Ogunwusi
- Police swoops on IPOB members, arrest native doctor, others
- Obaseki will end godfatherism, Oshiomhole’s arrogance in Edo – PDP chieftain
- Breaking News: Ronaldo to join Barcelona
- 2023: To counter Tinubu’s media stranglehold, Atiku launches own channel
- Edo 2020, Royal Snub: How Tinubu, APC Chieftains got embarrassed at Oba’s palace
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington passes on at 90
- Lagos Assembly mulls amendment of anti-Cultism Law; sets penalty for cultists parent
- LAHASCOM promotes 103 officers
- Ortom makes bold proposal, urges Buhari to license every Nigerian for AK47 to kill Fulani bandits
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole suffers ‘internal political bleeding’, ambush against Obaseki backfires
- Okowa felicitates with Sen. Osakwe at 72
- Wike sacks SA, dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street trading
- New Fuel Price: NNPC progress in error
- EFCC: Justice Salami descends gradually into disrepute as Magu camp, PACAC, others expose hidden agenda
- BREAKING: At last, the Red Devils fans can celebrate as United are set to find a way around Jadon Sancho’s transfer to Old Trafford