As the suspended EFCC chairman Ibrahim Magu spends the eighth day in the coop, and 12 of his directors, and the commission’s secretary go into suspension, AGF/Justice Abubakar Malami is announcing the update, and it is all beginning to look like a triumph.
The war dates back to 2015, throws up series of battles which Magu, the tragic hero, survived, until last week that it climaxed in his arrest and detention or the order of a presidential panel sitting inside Aso Rock villa.
President Muhammadu Buhari set up the secret panel following a petition Malami submitted to him.
The petition heaves with 22 allegations those in Aso Rock describe as weighty. Magu was said to have been unable to account for over N553m, and that he gave away recovered loot to his friends and associates at giveaway prices.
Apparently, the biggest of the allegations is that of insubordination. Malamu said Magu has been a law unto himself, when he’s constitutionally subject to the AGF.
Te two have been at loggerheads on some of the high-profile corruption cases Magu would want to probe but the AGF would resist. Malami once called for the files of those suspects in the first term of the administration.
Magu has clarified some of the allegations, and has been fighting for bail so he could make stronger defence.
But the train of events has been moving against Magu since the probe panel, headed by retired Justice Ayo Salami, began its investigation.
No fewer than 12 of the commission’s directors have been eased into suspension by Buhari as advised by the panel. The secretary of the commission, Olanipekun Olukoyede, too, has been ordered to go on suspension.
According to Malami, the suspension is in compliance with the presidential order.
The purge going on in the EFCC may slow the momentum of the anti-graft war the Buhari administration likes to claim as its identity.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Barca’s thrashing at hands of Bayern not worst defeat in club’s history
- Edo 2020: Tinubu, Oshiomhole’s comprehensive ‘witchcraft’ plan
- Edo 2020: How Otu of Igarra pens his name on Obaseki’s black book
- Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
- Mailafia’s revelation rattles Buhari, FG now deploys Special Forces to Southern Kaduna
- Ondo Deputy Governor forms alliance with former Governor to defeat Akeredolu
- Southern Kaduna killings: Cracks in north, Middle Belt, minorities declare support for Mailafia
- Over 10 million Nigerians will need humanitarian assistance in 2020 – UN
- Barcelona begins search for new coach
- Nigeria working towards successful takeoff of National Senior Citizen’s Centre
- Over 21 million Nigerians remain unemployed as unemployment rate jumps
- SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
- LEAK: Mailafia’s statement during DSS interrogation different from his press statement
- #RevolutionNow : Is Obasanjo supporting Sowore?
- Edo 2020: Obaseki pulls down Oshiomhole, Ize-Iyamu, APC in Owan East
- Breaking: Ronaldo in Barca’s colours says he is ‘On board’
- As Nigeria govt goes after martyr Mailafia, his story just changes
- Edo 2020: Orbih exposes two reasons people can’t trust Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Security aides repel assassination attempt on Obaseki in Etsako Ward 10
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole desperately trading with Edo election to regain national chairman – APC governors
- MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
- Another 3 Nigerians face tax fraud charges in US
- Why BBNaija should be scrapped – Oba Ogunwusi
- Police swoops on IPOB members, arrest native doctor, others
- Obaseki will end godfatherism, Oshiomhole’s arrogance in Edo – PDP chieftain
- Breaking News: Ronaldo to join Barcelona
- 2023: To counter Tinubu’s media stranglehold, Atiku launches own channel
- Edo 2020, Royal Snub: How Tinubu, APC Chieftains got embarrassed at Oba’s palace
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington passes on at 90
- Lagos Assembly mulls amendment of anti-Cultism Law; sets penalty for cultists parent
- LAHASCOM promotes 103 officers
- Ortom makes bold proposal, urges Buhari to license every Nigerian for AK47 to kill Fulani bandits
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole suffers ‘internal political bleeding’, ambush against Obaseki backfires
- Okowa felicitates with Sen. Osakwe at 72
- Wike sacks SA, dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street trading
- New Fuel Price: NNPC progress in error
- EFCC: Justice Salami descends gradually into disrepute as Magu camp, PACAC, others expose hidden agenda
- BREAKING: At last, the Red Devils fans can celebrate as United are set to find a way around Jadon Sancho’s transfer to Old Trafford