The management of Nigerian Export-Import Bank [NEXIM Bank] has reacted to the allegations that its Managing Director, Abba Bello, diverted the sum of N50bn from the coffers of the bank, describing the claims as untrue and false.
It would be recalled that a group under the aegis of Citizens Committee for Corruption Free Nigeria (CCCN) had written a petition to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), calling for Bello’s probe over the alleged diversion of N50 billion from Nexim Bank’s coffers.
Specifically, the petition had accused Abba Bello of diverting and mismanaging the N50 billion Rediscounting and Refinancing Facility which was availed by the Federal Government to assist commercial and merchant banks to provide short-term finance in support of exports.
However, in a rebuttal issued by the bank’s Corporate Communications Department, it explained that the N50 billion Rediscounting and Refinancing Facility has been used to fund about 60 projects since it was released by the Federal Government in 2018.
In an obvious attempt to absolve the Abba Bello-led management of these fraud allegations, the statement had attacked NEXIM Bank’s immediate past management team.
The erstwhile management was dissolved in 2017 by President Muhammadu Buhari due to gross incompetence. Apparently, Abba Bello was brought on board to help rescue Nexim Bank from its huge non-performing loan problem which was worsened by what the statement described as “reckless abuse of process” which led to insider related loans and an absolute breakdown of professionalism in bank’s loan administration processes.
The statement then praised Bello for successfully re-tooling NEXIM Bank and bringing it back from the brink of failure within the 3-year period he had been in charge. The statement also noted that NEXIM Bank reported profits of N2.03 billion and N1.09 billion in full-year 2019 and 2018 respectively, as against losses of N569 million and N8.03 billion in 2017 and 2016, respectively.
“We have noted recent incessant attacks on the Nigerian Export-Import Bank (NEXIM Bank) and its management in a section of the media, predominantly the social media. Most recently, a report has been trending on the social media claiming that a petition has been forwarded to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), calling for a probe of the Managing Director/Chief Executive of Nexim Bank, Mr Abba Bello, over alleged corruption and mismanagement of the N50 billion Rediscounting and Refinancing Facility (RRF), provided by the Federal Government…
“The current management of the bank, led by Mr Abba Bello, resumed office in April 2017 to replace the erstwhile government, which was removed by President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, over issues relating to gross incompetence, which had made the bank almost insolvent, with huge non-performing loans, exacerbated by reckless abuse of process, insider related loans and lack of professionalism in loans administration, amongst other issues,” some parts of the statement said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Barca’s thrashing at hands of Bayern not worst defeat in club’s history
- Edo 2020: Tinubu, Oshiomhole’s comprehensive ‘witchcraft’ plan
- Edo 2020: How Otu of Igarra pens his name on Obaseki’s black book
- Finally, Mailafia’s security network, informants exposed; the blabbermouth disappoints NNC, Falana, media rights groups
- Mailafia’s revelation rattles Buhari, FG now deploys Special Forces to Southern Kaduna
- Ondo Deputy Governor forms alliance with former Governor to defeat Akeredolu
- Southern Kaduna killings: Cracks in north, Middle Belt, minorities declare support for Mailafia
- Over 10 million Nigerians will need humanitarian assistance in 2020 – UN
- Barcelona begins search for new coach
- Nigeria working towards successful takeoff of National Senior Citizen’s Centre
- Over 21 million Nigerians remain unemployed as unemployment rate jumps
- SAD! Obaseki broken as more loyalists dump campaign, state pointblank why they switch to Ize-Iyamu, Oshiomhole in dying minutes
- LEAK: Mailafia’s statement during DSS interrogation different from his press statement
- #RevolutionNow : Is Obasanjo supporting Sowore?
- Edo 2020: Obaseki pulls down Oshiomhole, Ize-Iyamu, APC in Owan East
- Breaking: Ronaldo in Barca’s colours says he is ‘On board’
- As Nigeria govt goes after martyr Mailafia, his story just changes
- Edo 2020: Orbih exposes two reasons people can’t trust Oshiomhole
- Edo 2020: Security aides repel assassination attempt on Obaseki in Etsako Ward 10
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole desperately trading with Edo election to regain national chairman – APC governors
- MAGU: International communities rise against Malami, withdraw support for Buhari, rubbish Nigeria’s 4 years of anti-corruption fight
- Another 3 Nigerians face tax fraud charges in US
- Why BBNaija should be scrapped – Oba Ogunwusi
- Police swoops on IPOB members, arrest native doctor, others
- Obaseki will end godfatherism, Oshiomhole’s arrogance in Edo – PDP chieftain
- Breaking News: Ronaldo to join Barcelona
- 2023: To counter Tinubu’s media stranglehold, Atiku launches own channel
- Edo 2020, Royal Snub: How Tinubu, APC Chieftains got embarrassed at Oba’s palace
- Former US Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington passes on at 90
- Lagos Assembly mulls amendment of anti-Cultism Law; sets penalty for cultists parent
- LAHASCOM promotes 103 officers
- Ortom makes bold proposal, urges Buhari to license every Nigerian for AK47 to kill Fulani bandits
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole suffers ‘internal political bleeding’, ambush against Obaseki backfires
- Okowa felicitates with Sen. Osakwe at 72
- Wike sacks SA, dissolves Task Force on Illegal Street trading
- New Fuel Price: NNPC progress in error
- EFCC: Justice Salami descends gradually into disrepute as Magu camp, PACAC, others expose hidden agenda
- BREAKING: At last, the Red Devils fans can celebrate as United are set to find a way around Jadon Sancho’s transfer to Old Trafford