Oyo State Development Advocacy Group (OSDAG), has commended Governor Seyi Makinde, for leading the park on implementation of the new national minimum wage in Nigeria, since it was signed into law.
The group in a statement signed by the spokesman, Mr. Micheal Ogunsina said the government of Oyo State, led by Engineer Seyi Makinde has added another feather to his numerous achievements within a year he took the reins of power as the State governor.
Citing full implementation of new minimum wage of N30,000, which was as a result of the National Minimum Wage Act, signed into law on April 18, 2019 by President Muhammadu Buhari.
There were agitations by Nigerian workers, through the organized labour, who demanded a rise in their wages, and the State governors and the Federal government finally agreed on the payment of N30,000 to all the workers across the country, which Makinde has been up to date with.
The report stated that, “While it took organised Labour and the federal government exactly six months to agree on the consequential adjustment for federal public workers on October 18, 2019, after a highly belligerent negotiation process; in many states where the governors are effectively in absolute command and control of every process, the consummation of the new minimum wage has remained unimplemented and in limbo due to several roadblocks mounted by the governors”.
The National Record reported the implementation in Oyo State as follows, “Oyo: Implemented and up-to-date”
“Oyo State commenced implementation with effect from January, said Comrade Sikiru Bayo Titilola-Sodo, the Oyo State chairman of NLC, who stated with emphasis that workers are not owed any arrears. “Salaries and all arrears have been paid; that is what I meant by no arrears, and they have been paid up to date; we are up to date, June salaries were paid on the 26th of last month [June 2020],” Comrade Titilola-Sodo said.”
“He however admitted that there are other issues related to unpaid allowances and gratuities. He said gratuities are not being paid in some sectors for 8 years.
“This government has just started paying, the government is paying 2013 now; every month for civil service retirees, and quarterly for the primary school and local government retirees,” said Comrade Titilola-Sodo”.
OSDAG said, their own core mandate includes continued track up of the achievements of the government, with a bid to point out where there is need for more efforts to better the lots of the masses.
“Given the fact that the new minimum wage was fully implemented, without a fail in the payment of civil servant salary, since the government came to office on May 29, 2019, the governor needs to be commended for being on the side of the people of the State.
While charging other State governors to work on all the grey areas and existing impediments to the implementation of minimum wage in their State.
“The main reason, the mandates were given to them by the people, is for the purpose of making life better for them.” Group affirms.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- EDO: Malami, IGP back APC to gang up against PDP, Speaker, Obaseki
- Full text of Tinubu’s attack on Obaseki
- Edo youths, women rise against APC impunity, lawlessness
- Edo boils, indigenes warn APC, impeachment of Obaseki not feasible now
- Exposed: How Oshiomhole disburses over N500m to recruit thugs for mayhem in Edo Assembly – PDP
- Why and how we should invest in education
- Ronaldo, Champion’s League: End of the road – Expert
- Breaking: End of the road for Naira Marley
- Covid-19: Court sentences second-time offender Naira Marley
- EDO: Police arrest thugs Obaseki allegedly hired to destroy Assembly Complex for renovation
- EDO: Buhari snubs APC, declines to attend rally
- Medical doctors spill blood during election
- EDO: Obaseki, PDP panic as Buhari meets Ize-Iyamu
- Big Brother’s house on fire!
- EDO: Breaking! APC lawmakers impeach Speaker, seek truce with Obaseki
- EDO: APC, FG intensify effort to impeach Obaseki, PDP cries out; Ize-Iyamu mocks gov
- Ecobank introduces cardless withdrawals at ATMs
- Maintain old pump price, IPMAN tells fuel marketers
- Traditional ruler in trouble for allegedly defiling teenage daughter
- Stay off these states in Nigeria, UK warns citizens
- EDO: Tension rises as loyalists take-off House of Assembly roof, mace
- Workers threaten to shut down airport over sack of pilots, others
- Many goats have been buried at the National Stadium – Christian Chukwu
- Striker we tied with juju still scored against Super Eagles – Christian Chukwu
- Plot to impeach Obaseki looms, Police take over Edo Assembly
- How Fulani militias killed 2,539 people, burnt 7,582 houses within three years in 654 attacks – Study
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole in fresh trouble, Ize-Iyamu trembles
- PDP mocks Ize-Iyamu over rejection by Edo APC
- Oshiomhole’s ambush, Obaseki fights back
- EDO MACE THEFT: Tension as Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu divide assembly, and one APC gov, impeached dep. speaker gun for Speaker Okiye,mace
- Another APC chieftain dies
- Much ado about Manchester United transfer rumours: These are the latest updates Red Devils fans need to know
- Tiktok: Alarming as China gets only six weeks to leave America
- Edo 2020: PDP reduces Oshiomhole political impotency
- Ondo Deputy Gov, Ajayi, compounds Akeredolu’s second term woes
- Virgin Atlantic runs out of cash, files for bankruptcy
- COVID-19 not in breastmilk, WHO allays fears
- Justice at last after girl was raped and murdered by a trusted childhood friend
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole lays fresh ambush for Obaseki, poaches governor’s men
- Chinese loan: Amaechi fires backs at lawmakers