President Muhammadu Buhari has continued to come under increasing pressures to fire the service chiefs heading the Nigerian Armed Forces, essentially, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, as bloodshed of innocent citizens continued to be perpetuated by bandits in the northwest Nigeria unabated even with the presence of the Nigerian Army, the Police and other security operatives. Presidency sources disclosed that Buhari may just be waiting for technical advise from the principal officers to effect a change of the leadership of the Armed Forces who could inject new ideas and technicalities into the security system to combat the bandits as well as the Boko Haram terrorists in the northeast.
It is becoming the case that each time the military celebrates marginal success in the fight against the terrorists or bandits, the societal outcasts respond within hours to announce their growing strength in the violence merchandise.
Gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen had at the weekend invaded three communities in Zango Kataf Local Government Area in Kaduna State, killing over 24 people, injuring several other indigenes in the violent operations.
It was gathered that Chairman of Zango Kataf Local Government Area, Elias Manza, narrated that gunmen suspected to be Fulani militia, struck in Chibob village on Friday night, killing nine people, leaving several others sustaining various degrees of injuries and burning many houses.
The Council Chairman was said to have further narrated that the Fulani militia also invaded Sabon Kaura village with their sophisticated weapons; 15 persons were said to be slaughtered in the night operation. The militia further struck in Ungwan Audu village on Sunday night, killing people, burning houses and farmlands. It was a weekend of bloodbath and arson in Kaduna State.
The Local Government Chairman was said to have decried that many families and homes were disorganized as indigenes fled for safety during the attacks. Those who survived the attacks, but sustained injuries were said to be taken to different hospitals in Kafanchan and Zonkwa for treatment.
There has been tension between indigenous farmers and Fulani herdsmen in Zango Kataf over farmlands. The Kaduna State Government had imposed curfew in some parts of the troubled zone.
The attacks took place while troops of the Operation Whirl Stroke were celebrating the killing two bandits and injury on several others in a makeshift camp at the outskirt of Arufu in Taraba State.
The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, had confirmed the military breakthrough in a statement on Saturday.
Enenche had narrated that the operation was a response to “actionable Human Intelligence on the infiltration of armed herdsmen on 10 July 2020 at Chambe community in Logo LGA of Benue State where two villagers were killed.”
He said that the troops from Tomatar and Gov/Afia swiftly were deployed to the scene but the bandits have fled the area. He added that the troops trailed the armed bandits to neighbouring Taraba and on sighting them, the bandits launched an attack on the soldiers, saying, but the soldiers “overwhelmed the criminals with high-intensity fire, killing two of them while others fled in disarray with gunshots wounds.”
The troops were said to have recovered one AK-47 rifle and 10 rounds of 7.62mm Special from the criminals in the operation.
However, the bandits fought back on image recovery at the weekend to erase the success records of the military.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- EDO: Malami, IGP back APC to gang up against PDP, Speaker, Obaseki
- Full text of Tinubu’s attack on Obaseki
- Edo youths, women rise against APC impunity, lawlessness
- Edo boils, indigenes warn APC, impeachment of Obaseki not feasible now
- Exposed: How Oshiomhole disburses over N500m to recruit thugs for mayhem in Edo Assembly – PDP
- Why and how we should invest in education
- Ronaldo, Champion’s League: End of the road – Expert
- Breaking: End of the road for Naira Marley
- Covid-19: Court sentences second-time offender Naira Marley
- EDO: Police arrest thugs Obaseki allegedly hired to destroy Assembly Complex for renovation
- EDO: Buhari snubs APC, declines to attend rally
- Medical doctors spill blood during election
- EDO: Obaseki, PDP panic as Buhari meets Ize-Iyamu
- Big Brother’s house on fire!
- EDO: Breaking! APC lawmakers impeach Speaker, seek truce with Obaseki
- EDO: APC, FG intensify effort to impeach Obaseki, PDP cries out; Ize-Iyamu mocks gov
- Ecobank introduces cardless withdrawals at ATMs
- Maintain old pump price, IPMAN tells fuel marketers
- Traditional ruler in trouble for allegedly defiling teenage daughter
- Stay off these states in Nigeria, UK warns citizens
- EDO: Tension rises as loyalists take-off House of Assembly roof, mace
- Workers threaten to shut down airport over sack of pilots, others
- Many goats have been buried at the National Stadium – Christian Chukwu
- Striker we tied with juju still scored against Super Eagles – Christian Chukwu
- Plot to impeach Obaseki looms, Police take over Edo Assembly
- How Fulani militias killed 2,539 people, burnt 7,582 houses within three years in 654 attacks – Study
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole in fresh trouble, Ize-Iyamu trembles
- PDP mocks Ize-Iyamu over rejection by Edo APC
- Oshiomhole’s ambush, Obaseki fights back
- EDO MACE THEFT: Tension as Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu divide assembly, and one APC gov, impeached dep. speaker gun for Speaker Okiye,mace
- Another APC chieftain dies
- Much ado about Manchester United transfer rumours: These are the latest updates Red Devils fans need to know
- Tiktok: Alarming as China gets only six weeks to leave America
- Edo 2020: PDP reduces Oshiomhole political impotency
- Ondo Deputy Gov, Ajayi, compounds Akeredolu’s second term woes
- Virgin Atlantic runs out of cash, files for bankruptcy
- COVID-19 not in breastmilk, WHO allays fears
- Justice at last after girl was raped and murdered by a trusted childhood friend
- Edo 2020: Oshiomhole lays fresh ambush for Obaseki, poaches governor’s men
- Chinese loan: Amaechi fires backs at lawmakers