The national chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, and Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State. may begin the real war, testing the battlefield, when the APC commences the screening of governorship aspirants for the September election in Edo State.
APC National Publicity Secretary, Lanre Issa-Onilu, in a statement on Friday, disclosed that six governorship aspirants are to be screened for the primary election of the party on June 22 to elect a candidate for the September election in Edo State.
The APC National Publicity Secretary indicated that the six governorship aspirants have bought, completed, and submitted the party’s expression of interest and nomination forms.
The aspirants were identified to include Governor Godwin Obaseki, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, Dr Pius Odubu, Chris Ogiemwonyi, Osaro Obazee, and Matthew Iduoriyekemwen.
The rift between the national chairman, Oshiomhole, and the Edo governor, Obaseki, over the APC governorship ticket in Edo State has caused deep friction in the party. Oshiomhole is leading a faction of Edo APC sponsoring Pastor Ize-Iyamu. There is suspicion the national chairman would manipulate the primary election process to ensure the victory of his anointed aspirant.
However, Issa-Onilu has assured that the APC is committed to ensuring due diligence and transparency in the screening exercise and learning from its recent shocking experiences in some states.
The National Publicity Secretary added that towards ensuring transparency of the process, APC circulated the submitted information and documents of the governorship aspirants among party members and the public for verification of claims.
He declared: “Consequently, the various submissions will be displayed at the Party’s National Secretariat in Abuja and in Benin City, the Edo State capital from Monday 8th to Tuesday 9th June 2020 for claims and objections.
“We are inviting party members and indeed members of the public to assist the screening committee by scrutinising the information, credentials and documents provided by the governorship aspirants and availing the Screening Committee of counter and correct information, if applicable.”
The screening of the aspirants may mark the beginning of combatant war between the national chairman and the Edo governor.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Tension in NDDC as Presidency moves to dissolve IMC
- Resident doctors abandon Covid-19 treatment centres
- Magu battles Malami as suspended EFCC boss gets bail
- Father forces 12-year-old daughter into 2 marriages in one month
- PDP scolds Ize-Iyamu over APC false alarm
- BREAKING: Jan Oblak’s transfer to Stamford Bridge is good news for Chelsea fans
- First female pilot not dead
- Another N5.8bn pension fund scandal rocks Niger state
- Malami crushes Magu, EFCC, undertakes burial of anti-corruption war in Buhari’s govt
- Data war: More Nigerians dump MTN, Airtel for Glo
- More heads roll as Buhari goes after EFCC top officials
- NEXIM Bank explains ‘missing N50bn’ claims, exonerates MD
- Boko Haram demands N20 million ransom for kidnapped girls
- Osinbajo, others to attend 2020 MSMEs Awards
- Covid19: Cases approach 13,000 in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu incurs Oshiomhole’s wrath, engages in self-defeatist campaign
- GTbank, Access, others drag NSE to negative close
- Police arrest parents for domestic violence on 12-year-old daughter
- Brutalised! How 14-year-old had her genitals damaged
- How baby survived in a cave with her dead mother
- Police arrest Man, 24, for burning 10-year boy with hot knife
- Gruesome murder of Gokada founder begins to unravel
- No more hiding place for loan defaulters as CBN issues new guidelines
- BREAKING: Good news for the Red Devils fans as Manchester United finally ‘agrees’ Jadon Sancho transfer to Old Trafford
- Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh
- E-payment transaction declines by N96bn in April
- Aide opens up on conspiracy against Osinbajo, 2023 ambition
- COVID-19 and It’s Adverse Implications on Globalization
- Ekweremadu to chair PDP committee on Ondo governorship primaries
- Here’s what killed Nigerian professor of infectious diseases in Abuja quarantine
- Prediction: Manchester United vs. Southampton
- Secret of Magu’s Dubai meeting with alleged front exposed
- Magu reacts to alleged missing interest on recovered N550bn
- Fresh pressure on Buhari to fire Buratai, others over uncontrollable bloodshed in north
- Ex-NDDC MD raises fresh allegations against Akpabio, drops another bombshell
- Covid-19: Okotie attacks Gates, others
- Afenifere blows hot over lopsided appointments in NPA
- Police rescue American lady, held captive in Lagos hotel for 16 months
- BREAKING: Manchester City win fight against UEFA ban as EPL top four heightens