Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has reacted to the removal of fuel subsidy by the federal government, saying the decision was coming at the right time.
Recall that the federal government had in April bowed to long-standing pressure to restructure the downstream segment of the Nigerian oil industry through the removal of fuel subsidy.
This comes as the global oil industry continues to grapple with the low demand and subsequent price slump that have been caused by the Coronavirus pandemic.
According to the GMD of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Malam Mele Kyari, Nigeria would no longer be paying for under-recovery or subsidy on petrol, especially due to the current development in the global oil sector.
Commenting on his verified Twitter handle on Friday, Atiku urged the federal and state governments to remove other impediments and roll out incentives to spur investments in the oil sector.
He said: “The federal government finally withdraws from the fuel subsidy and price-fixing bazaar that had been rife with corruption and stalling investments.
“This is something patriots have been calling for and for which I was demonised.
“The stoppage of subsidy and price-fixing is a right move, although it should have come earlier when the economy was stronger.
“Federal and state governments should proceed to remove other impediments and roll-out incentives to spur investments in the sector, especially the numerous refineries that had been licensed but are yet to be built.
“Then ensure the quality of fuel meets set standard.”
The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) had on Thursday removed the cap on the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) and gave oil marketers the licence to fix the price of the commodity.
In a document titled: “Market Based Pricing Regime for Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) Regulations, 2020,” and signed by its Executive Secretary, Abdulkadir Saidu, the Agency said the price of PMS would be determined by market forces henceforth.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Resident doctors abandon Covid-19 treatment centres
- Magu battles Malami as suspended EFCC boss gets bail
- Father forces 12-year-old daughter into 2 marriages in one month
- PDP scolds Ize-Iyamu over APC false alarm
- BREAKING: Jan Oblak’s transfer to Stamford Bridge is good news for Chelsea fans
- First female pilot not dead
- Another N5.8bn pension fund scandal rocks Niger state
- Malami crushes Magu, EFCC, undertakes burial of anti-corruption war in Buhari’s govt
- Data war: More Nigerians dump MTN, Airtel for Glo
- More heads roll as Buhari goes after EFCC top officials
- NEXIM Bank explains ‘missing N50bn’ claims, exonerates MD
- Boko Haram demands N20 million ransom for kidnapped girls
- Osinbajo, others to attend 2020 MSMEs Awards
- Covid19: Cases approach 13,000 in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu incurs Oshiomhole’s wrath, engages in self-defeatist campaign
- GTbank, Access, others drag NSE to negative close
- Police arrest parents for domestic violence on 12-year-old daughter
- Brutalised! How 14-year-old had her genitals damaged
- How baby survived in a cave with her dead mother
- Police arrest Man, 24, for burning 10-year boy with hot knife
- Gruesome murder of Gokada founder begins to unravel
- No more hiding place for loan defaulters as CBN issues new guidelines
- BREAKING: Good news for the Red Devils fans as Manchester United finally ‘agrees’ Jadon Sancho transfer to Old Trafford
- Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh
- E-payment transaction declines by N96bn in April
- Aide opens up on conspiracy against Osinbajo, 2023 ambition
- COVID-19 and It’s Adverse Implications on Globalization
- Ekweremadu to chair PDP committee on Ondo governorship primaries
- Here’s what killed Nigerian professor of infectious diseases in Abuja quarantine
- Prediction: Manchester United vs. Southampton
- Secret of Magu’s Dubai meeting with alleged front exposed
- Magu reacts to alleged missing interest on recovered N550bn
- Fresh pressure on Buhari to fire Buratai, others over uncontrollable bloodshed in north
- Ex-NDDC MD raises fresh allegations against Akpabio, drops another bombshell
- Covid-19: Okotie attacks Gates, others
- Afenifere blows hot over lopsided appointments in NPA
- Police rescue American lady, held captive in Lagos hotel for 16 months
- BREAKING: Manchester City win fight against UEFA ban as EPL top four heightens
- Jada’s entanglement with August: 50 Cent makes joke after joke on Will Smith