Nigeria’s stock market finished the week on a poor note, extending its previous day’s loss with investors losing a whopping N154.28 billion in value.
The ASI declined by -1.17% to 25,016.00 index points, year to date loss dipped to -6.88% as market capitalization dropped to N13.04 trillion.
In terms of activity levels, market activity mirrored the broad index as total volumes and values declined by -20.61% and -52.51% to 214.49 million units and 2.51 billion respectively.
ZENITH BANK was the most traded stock by volume at 22.2 million units, while NB topped by value at N666 million.
Market sentiment, measured by market breadth, was however positive with 22 gainers led by BOCGAS (10.00%), against 18 losers topped by CABDURY (-9.47%).
Across the major indexes we cover, four out of five indexes closed negative. The Industrial goods (-3.91%) index was the worst performer, due to BUACEM (-5.44%) and DANGCEMENT (-2.04%) price decline.
The Consumer Goods (-1.23%) and Energy (-0.96%) indices followed, owing to sell-offs in CADBURY (-9.47%); NB (-4.55%); GUINNESS (-3.68%) and OANDO (-2.22%).
Also, the Banking (-0.28%) index lost points, as prices of GUARANTY (-2.45%) and FBNH (-1.82%) fell. The Insurance index was the lone gainer, up +0.06% on price appreciation in CHIPLC, CUSTODIAN & AIICO Insurance.
BOCGAS up 10.00% to close at N4.4; SKYAVN up 9.64% to close at N2.73; NASCON up 1.77% to close at N11.5; CUSTODIAN up 3.42% to close at N6.05; and NEIMETH up 9.94% to close at N1.77.
CADBURY down 9.47% to close at N7.65; BUACEMENT down 5.44% to close at N40; NB down 4.55% to close at N42; GUINNESS down 3.68% to close at N18.3; and DANGCEM down 2.04% to close at N139.
Market dropped close to the N13 trillion market capitalization support level, as heavy selling was observed among blue-chip stocks.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Resident doctors abandon Covid-19 treatment centres
- Magu battles Malami as suspended EFCC boss gets bail
- Father forces 12-year-old daughter into 2 marriages in one month
- PDP scolds Ize-Iyamu over APC false alarm
- BREAKING: Jan Oblak’s transfer to Stamford Bridge is good news for Chelsea fans
- First female pilot not dead
- Another N5.8bn pension fund scandal rocks Niger state
- Malami crushes Magu, EFCC, undertakes burial of anti-corruption war in Buhari’s govt
- Data war: More Nigerians dump MTN, Airtel for Glo
- More heads roll as Buhari goes after EFCC top officials
- NEXIM Bank explains ‘missing N50bn’ claims, exonerates MD
- Boko Haram demands N20 million ransom for kidnapped girls
- Osinbajo, others to attend 2020 MSMEs Awards
- Covid19: Cases approach 13,000 in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu incurs Oshiomhole’s wrath, engages in self-defeatist campaign
- GTbank, Access, others drag NSE to negative close
- Police arrest parents for domestic violence on 12-year-old daughter
- Brutalised! How 14-year-old had her genitals damaged
- How baby survived in a cave with her dead mother
- Police arrest Man, 24, for burning 10-year boy with hot knife
- Gruesome murder of Gokada founder begins to unravel
- No more hiding place for loan defaulters as CBN issues new guidelines
- BREAKING: Good news for the Red Devils fans as Manchester United finally ‘agrees’ Jadon Sancho transfer to Old Trafford
- Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh
- E-payment transaction declines by N96bn in April
- Aide opens up on conspiracy against Osinbajo, 2023 ambition
- COVID-19 and It’s Adverse Implications on Globalization
- Ekweremadu to chair PDP committee on Ondo governorship primaries
- Here’s what killed Nigerian professor of infectious diseases in Abuja quarantine
- Prediction: Manchester United vs. Southampton
- Secret of Magu’s Dubai meeting with alleged front exposed
- Magu reacts to alleged missing interest on recovered N550bn
- Fresh pressure on Buhari to fire Buratai, others over uncontrollable bloodshed in north
- Ex-NDDC MD raises fresh allegations against Akpabio, drops another bombshell
- Covid-19: Okotie attacks Gates, others
- Afenifere blows hot over lopsided appointments in NPA
- Police rescue American lady, held captive in Lagos hotel for 16 months
- BREAKING: Manchester City win fight against UEFA ban as EPL top four heightens
- Jada’s entanglement with August: 50 Cent makes joke after joke on Will Smith