By Richards Adeniyi
The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has removed the cap on the price of premium motor spirit (PMS), also known as petrol, giving marketers freedom to fix price of the commodity and sell above the price stipulated by it.
The PPPRA, in a document titled, ‘Market Based Pricing Regime for Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) Regulations, 2020,’ stated that henceforth, the price of PMS would be determined by market forces.
In the document signed by its Executive Secretary, Abdulkadir Saidu, the agency, however, stated that it would continue to monitor trends in the crude oil market and advise the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and oil marketers on the monthly guiding price for the commodity.
The PPPRA said, “In exercise of the Powers conferred on it by Sections 7 and 24 at the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (Establishment) Act. No. 8 of 2003, and all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Petroleum Product Pricing Regulatory Agency, with the approval of the President, hereby make the following regulation:
“Short title: Market Based Pricing Regime for Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) using the Pricing Template of the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency.
“The price cap per litre in respect of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) is removed from the commencement of these Regulations. From the commencement of these Regulations, a market based pricing regime for Premium Motor Saint (PMS) shall take effect.
“The agency shall monitor market trends and advise the NNPC and oil marketing companies on the monthly guiding Market Based Price.
“The price of premium motor spirit (PMS) advised by the agency shall be guiding retail price at which the product shall be sold across the country.
“This regulation may be cited as the Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) Market Based Pricing Regime Regulations, 2020, made this 20th day of March, 2020.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Resident doctors abandon Covid-19 treatment centres
- Magu battles Malami as suspended EFCC boss gets bail
- Father forces 12-year-old daughter into 2 marriages in one month
- PDP scolds Ize-Iyamu over APC false alarm
- BREAKING: Jan Oblak’s transfer to Stamford Bridge is good news for Chelsea fans
- First female pilot not dead
- Another N5.8bn pension fund scandal rocks Niger state
- Malami crushes Magu, EFCC, undertakes burial of anti-corruption war in Buhari’s govt
- Data war: More Nigerians dump MTN, Airtel for Glo
- More heads roll as Buhari goes after EFCC top officials
- NEXIM Bank explains ‘missing N50bn’ claims, exonerates MD
- Boko Haram demands N20 million ransom for kidnapped girls
- Osinbajo, others to attend 2020 MSMEs Awards
- Covid19: Cases approach 13,000 in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu incurs Oshiomhole’s wrath, engages in self-defeatist campaign
- GTbank, Access, others drag NSE to negative close
- Police arrest parents for domestic violence on 12-year-old daughter
- Brutalised! How 14-year-old had her genitals damaged
- How baby survived in a cave with her dead mother
- Police arrest Man, 24, for burning 10-year boy with hot knife
- Gruesome murder of Gokada founder begins to unravel
- No more hiding place for loan defaulters as CBN issues new guidelines
- BREAKING: Good news for the Red Devils fans as Manchester United finally ‘agrees’ Jadon Sancho transfer to Old Trafford
- Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh
- E-payment transaction declines by N96bn in April
- Aide opens up on conspiracy against Osinbajo, 2023 ambition
- COVID-19 and It’s Adverse Implications on Globalization
- Ekweremadu to chair PDP committee on Ondo governorship primaries
- Here’s what killed Nigerian professor of infectious diseases in Abuja quarantine
- Prediction: Manchester United vs. Southampton
- Secret of Magu’s Dubai meeting with alleged front exposed
- Magu reacts to alleged missing interest on recovered N550bn
- Fresh pressure on Buhari to fire Buratai, others over uncontrollable bloodshed in north
- Ex-NDDC MD raises fresh allegations against Akpabio, drops another bombshell
- Covid-19: Okotie attacks Gates, others
- Afenifere blows hot over lopsided appointments in NPA
- Police rescue American lady, held captive in Lagos hotel for 16 months
- BREAKING: Manchester City win fight against UEFA ban as EPL top four heightens
- Jada’s entanglement with August: 50 Cent makes joke after joke on Will Smith