Former Senate Leader, Senator Teslim Folarin, has vowed to ensure that those behind the rape and murder of 18-year Barakat Bello, a student of the Institute of Agriculture, Research and Training (IAR&T) in Ibadan, are brought to book.
Bello, 18, was on Monday gang-raped and stabbed to death at the back of the home she lived in with her family in Akinyele area of Ibadan, days after Vera Omozuwa, a 22-year-old student of the University of Benin (UNIBEN), was also raped and murdered.
Reacting on Thursday in a statement by his media aide, Yekeen Olaniyi, Folarin who represents Oyo central senatorial district, described the act as horrific, barbaric and shocking, called on security agencies to speedily investigate, arrest and prosecute the culprits.
“Barakat’s gruesome killing is one death too many. As the Senator representing Akinyele and 10 other Local Government Areas of Oyo Central, I will seek justice for late Barakat Bello.
“By God’s Grace, I will ensure that all the culprits responsible for this barbaric act are swiftly brought to justice. This nonsensical act of raping must stop in Nigeria.”
He extended his condolences to the family and friends of the victim.
Folarin, the Chairman, Senate Committee on Local Content, said he had directed his team to pay a condolence visit in Ibadan, and would personally visit them upon arrival from Abuja.
Folarin disclosed that he was “reaching out to the top echelons of Nigeria’s security agencies”.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Resident doctors abandon Covid-19 treatment centres
- Magu battles Malami as suspended EFCC boss gets bail
- Father forces 12-year-old daughter into 2 marriages in one month
- PDP scolds Ize-Iyamu over APC false alarm
- BREAKING: Jan Oblak’s transfer to Stamford Bridge is good news for Chelsea fans
- First female pilot not dead
- Another N5.8bn pension fund scandal rocks Niger state
- Malami crushes Magu, EFCC, undertakes burial of anti-corruption war in Buhari’s govt
- Data war: More Nigerians dump MTN, Airtel for Glo
- More heads roll as Buhari goes after EFCC top officials
- NEXIM Bank explains ‘missing N50bn’ claims, exonerates MD
- Boko Haram demands N20 million ransom for kidnapped girls
- Osinbajo, others to attend 2020 MSMEs Awards
- Covid19: Cases approach 13,000 in Lagos
- Edo 2020: Ize-Iyamu incurs Oshiomhole’s wrath, engages in self-defeatist campaign
- GTbank, Access, others drag NSE to negative close
- Police arrest parents for domestic violence on 12-year-old daughter
- Brutalised! How 14-year-old had her genitals damaged
- How baby survived in a cave with her dead mother
- Police arrest Man, 24, for burning 10-year boy with hot knife
- Gruesome murder of Gokada founder begins to unravel
- No more hiding place for loan defaulters as CBN issues new guidelines
- BREAKING: Good news for the Red Devils fans as Manchester United finally ‘agrees’ Jadon Sancho transfer to Old Trafford
- Lagos Assembly Correspondents Mourn Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh
- E-payment transaction declines by N96bn in April
- Aide opens up on conspiracy against Osinbajo, 2023 ambition
- COVID-19 and It’s Adverse Implications on Globalization
- Ekweremadu to chair PDP committee on Ondo governorship primaries
- Here’s what killed Nigerian professor of infectious diseases in Abuja quarantine
- Prediction: Manchester United vs. Southampton
- Secret of Magu’s Dubai meeting with alleged front exposed
- Magu reacts to alleged missing interest on recovered N550bn
- Fresh pressure on Buhari to fire Buratai, others over uncontrollable bloodshed in north
- Ex-NDDC MD raises fresh allegations against Akpabio, drops another bombshell
- Covid-19: Okotie attacks Gates, others
- Afenifere blows hot over lopsided appointments in NPA
- Police rescue American lady, held captive in Lagos hotel for 16 months
- BREAKING: Manchester City win fight against UEFA ban as EPL top four heightens
- Jada’s entanglement with August: 50 Cent makes joke after joke on Will Smith