President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday sent a felicitating message to Nigerians on the 2020 Easter celebration, The President’s would appear to have created more hopelessness in the citizens than rekindling respite after weeks of restriction of movement and its associated hardship. President Buhari merely rehearsed the suffering of Nigerians, then, went on self-commendation on efforts to combat the ravaging coronavirus infection. There was no modicum of vision or strong re-assurance in the president’s Easter message.
However, the President enjoined Christians to emulate the perseverance and sacrifices of Jesus Christ, lamenting the pains coronavirus brought and the actions of the federal government to save the lives of all citizens.
President Buhari’s statement reads:
“I rejoice with our Christian brothers and sisters as well as all Nigerians on the occasion of the celebration of this year’s Easter.
“This year’s commemoration of Easter comes amid the grip with which Covid-19 has held the entire world.
“Unprecedented in living memory, majority of Christians have found themselves marking Easter in a subdued manner, away from the usual congregation in churches. This is unusual and very unfortunate.
“However, I wish to enjoin our Christian compatriots to rekindle their faith in Christ who overcame persecution, sufferings and displayed endurance, steadfastness and above all piety.
“Jesus Christ represented man’s ability to withstand temporary pains in the hope of everlasting glory.
“I urge you to imbibe and live the values of humility, discipline, perseverance, sacrifice and obedience which Jesus Christ demonstrated during His stay on earth.
“There is no better opportunity than now for all Christians in particular, and Nigerians in general, to remain faithful and hopeful that with intensified prayers backed by personal and collective responsibility, the nation shall pull through this most difficult trial.
“I have no doubt that if all stakeholders – individuals and groups – play their part to the fullest as advised by our scientists and medical experts in confronting Covid-19, the inherent resilience and determination of our people will enable us to pull through.
“As I stated in my national broadcast on Sunday, March 29, 2020, since there is currently no known vaccine against the virus, “the best and most efficient way to avoid getting infected is through regular hygiene and sanitary practices as well as social distancing.”
“May I use this opportunity to commend the encouraging containment and ameliorating strategies put in place by members of the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19.
“I am very much aware of the personal and collective inconveniences suffered by our people due to measures such as restriction of movements and closure of business premises. Being “a matter of life and death,” these sacrifices are in everybody’s interest to save our country from calamity.
“The welfare of our people is paramount. Accordingly, the most economically vulnerable in our communities will continue to be uppermost in our plans, and efforts will be made to supply them with basic means of survival.
“While we see the Covid-19 pandemic as a global challenge, this administration is not oblivious of the constant threat posed to our national security by terrorists and insurgents. They may take this opportunity to perpetrate attacks. But our armed forces and other security and intelligence services will remain vigilant and continue to contain these threats and consolidate efforts to eradicate them completely.
“As we mark this year’s Easter, whatever the circumstances, I encourage you to make the most of the situation, and to keep safe.
“I wish you all a Happy Easter.”
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Miyetti Allah floats security outfit; dares Amotekun, others
- Covid-19: Cases rise to 175000
- ICT experts advocate stronger focus on Nigeria’s digital economy
- Dan Etete to lose luxury jet linked to Malabu oil deal
- Corruption allegations, crusade to get me out of office – Obasa
- Covid-19: AU appoints Masiyiwa Special Envoy
- Oshiomhole, APC panic as PDP commences screening of governorship aspirants in Edo
- Okowa signs Judiciary Autonomy Bill into law
- Oshiomhole, Obaseki, test battlefield as APC screens Ize-Iyamu, other aspirants for Edo election
- Naira picks at I&E window despite uncertainty in forex market
- Coronavirus is real, discharged patients recount ordeals
- WTO DG: Okonjo-Iweala’s nomination suffers big setback
- Inadequate metering remains serious change to power sector – NERC
- Nigeria to lose some councils to new country
- Nigeria will not lose councils to new country – Foreign Affairs minister
- Atiku reacts to fuel subsidy removal
- Stock market finishes week on poor note as capitalization drops
- Adult caught abusing a 3-year-old step sister on tape
- NCC boss, Danbatta gets Buhari’s approval for second term
- NNPC takes drastic measures to strengthen profitability
- China desperate to control global information on coronavirus, dictates Facebook’s State media rules
- CBN sanctions UBA, others over failure to meet CRR target
- Edo Primary: Obaseki embroiled in UI certificate forgery allegation
- Christiano Ronaldo leads Messi, makes Forbes Billionaire list
- FG gives marketers powers to fix fuel price
- COVID-19 Waiver: ANLCA collates 800 receipts, as members accuse NECOM of compromise
- Apapa, Tin Can Ports get rail connectivity
- Over 3000 Ministers Outside Christ Embasssy benefit from Pastor Chris Emergency Relief Aid
- Chloroquine Trial: The game WHO, Lancet, others playing with Trump about Covid-19
- Bandits return to Zamfara, kill 21, injure 12
- Gov Sanwo-Olu make U-turn, reopens churches, mosques in Lagos
- How robbers killed eight police officers in Kogi
- Federal Capital Territory issues guidelines for re-opening of churches, mosques
- Okowa assures to sustain development of road infrastructure
- The church will soon be empty if… – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- OPAN commends court on N15m judgement against Police over detention of Online Journalists
- Court foils Reps plot to arrest CUPP Spokesperson, Ikenga Imo
- BREAKING: Chelsea fans jubilate with Frank Lampard on Timo Werner’s move to Stamford Bridge
- Ex- Senate leader vows vengeance for late Barakat Bello
- Sahara Reporters, others shun Lagos Assembly adhoc committee invitation