By Odimmegwa Johnpeter/Abuja
Over One Million kits has been ordered by ECOWAS for member states to fight the coronavirus Pandemic.
According to ECOWAS, the new order is to supplement its ongoing distribution of other kits and medicine including Chloroquine and Azithromycin.
A statement issued by ECOWAS on Tuesday, re-affirmed its solidarity with member-states as well as its support.
The sub regional body said that it had already given financial support to member-states, distributed kits and drugs and additional kits as well as ventilators for distribution.
“To address the emergency at hand, ECOWAS has immediately made available financial support from its own resources, in addition to assistance from international partners, for the purchase of medical supplies and equipment essential for the fight against the pandemic.
WAHO has already purchased and dispatched to the 15 Member States: 30,500 diagnostic test kits; 10,000 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and 740,000 prescription tablets (Chloroquine and Azithromycin).
“Orders have been placed to acquire for Member States, the following items:
“240,000 diagnostic kits; 240,000 extraction kits; 250,000 viral sample transport equipment; 285,100 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE); 268,100 masks for medical personnel, 120 ventilators and several thousand litres of alcohol gel and disinfectants.
“WAHO is also working, in close collaboration with the specialised services in Member States, to deploy personnel and epidemiological surveillance and data collection tools, strengthen the capacity of reference laboratories and train technical personnel,” the statement said.
According to ECOWAS, it is working with its health organisation West African Health Organisation (WAHO)to continue both internal and external resource mobilisation, with a view to increasing the availability of medical materials and equipment.
It said that the effort of ECOWAS is to complement its intervention as part of a Short and Medium Term State Assistance Plan (humanitarian assistance and support for economic recovery).
The body thanked all their partners for their financial and technical supports to the Community, especially during the difficult times.
“The ECOWAS Commission is taking this opportunity to urge people to continue to implement the measures recommended by the Health Authorities, and to comply with the prescribed hygiene guidelines.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- BREAKING: Chelsea fans jubilate with Frank Lampard on Timo Werner’s move to Stamford Bridge
- Ex- Senate leader vows vengeance for late Barakat Bello
- Sahara Reporters, others shun Lagos Assembly adhoc committee invitation
- Casual workers, another form of ‘modern day slavery’ – NLC
- Importers, agents decry Customs service failure at Tin Can Port
- NIWA faults Lagos Attorney General on waterways jurisdiction
- NPA donates computers to Nigerians in diaspora
- Lagos releases new dates for re-opening of churches, mosques
- Directors, others jostle for vacant federal civil service positions
- Another Nigerian top celebrity in rape scandal
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves jumps as oil nears $40
- U.S retaliates, bars Chinese airlines from entering country
- Nigeria’s Bonny Light inches closer to $40
- Covid-19: More than 1000 die of infection in 24 hrs
- Enough of self-pity Southern Kaduna
- Dbanj accused of rape
- How Dbanj raped me — Victim
- SERAP drags Buhari, NASS to UN over cuts in health, UBE budgets
- Protest looms over governors’ refusal to open churches, mosques after PTF order
- Fresh bloodbath in Southern Kaduna, suspected Fulani Herdsmen slaughter 16 women, children in rural community
- COVID-19 hits hard on banks ad impression
- Chairman of covid-19 task force tests positive
- Uncertainty forces Naira down against US Dollar
- Lagos Assembly set to re-order Y2020 budget
- Obasa mourns Senator Muse demise, condoles family members
- Military arrest fake soldiers in Delta
- Sen Dino Melaye puts Gov Yahaya Bello, APC on fresh hot seat
- Buhari reassures Adesina, AfDB President, of support
- Floyd: White man arrested along with Floyd speaks out
- AfDB: No shaking! Adesina assured of Buhari’s word to moblisie Africa for second term
- What Buhari told Adesina about his re-elections bid at AfDB
- President Buhari gets Senate approval to borrow $5.513bn
- New pump price of fuel is fraud, here is why, says PDP
- Mrs. Okowa at 59, seeks God’s gift for 120 years
- Freedom for Orji Kalu at last
- Crude oil prices appreciate as investors remain optimistic over cut
- FRSC spokesman, Bisi Kazeem, others decorated with new ranks
- Football fans react as NFF President Amaju Pinnick blows hot on Nigerian football
- Latest: Why Sanwo-Olu keeps churches, mosques closed after FG lifted restrictions
- Lagos Assembly says financial autonomy key for a virile nation