- This was made known by the Borno state governor Kashim Shettima
- The governor said about 54, 911 women have been widowed by the Boko Haram insurgency in the state
Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno state said on Thursday, October 5, that 52, 311 children in the state were orphaned by Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.
Shettima disclosed this in Maiduguri during the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the state government, Fadama III and the World Bank (WB).
He also disclosed that some 54, 911 women were widowed by the crisis.
“The real victims of Boko Haram are women and children; they generated 54,911 widows and 52, 311 orphans.
“If we fail to take care of these orphans and widows 10 to 15 years down the line; if we do not provide a good home for them, believe me they will not take care of us.
“And there is no tool for change; no equalizer greater than education, we are poise to invest in education and we do not have an option," Shettima said.
Shettima said that the state government in collaboration with federal government, UN and development organisations had implemented various interventions programmes to address the humanitarian crisis caused by the insurgency.
He added that the government had also embarked on massive reconstruction and rehabilitation of residential homes, schools, clinics and public structures in communities liberated from the insurgents.
The governor reiterated government’s commitment to the completion of the projects, enhanced security; and the provision of alternative means of livelihoods to displaced persons, to enable them to return to their normal lives.
“In the coming months the story coming out of Borno will change, Borno shall witness an enduring peace, stability and progress.
“We have the work in terms of agriculture and all other additional resources for us to rebuild our state.’’
The governor expressed optimism that the successes recorded by the military in the counter-insurgency campaign would enhance security and ensure peace in the state.
Onlinenigeria.com earlier reported that some troops of the 151 and 202 Battalions of 21 Brigade under Operation Lafiya Dole carried a deadly offensive attack against members of Boko Haram.
The troops ambushed the terrorists along Firgi-Pulka Road in Bama local government area of Borno state.
The terrorists were said to have abandoned their weapons and fled in disarray with wounds from the gun battle with soldiers.
Latest Nigeria News
- BREAKING: Chelsea fans jubilate with Frank Lampard on Timo Werner’s move to Stamford Bridge
- Ex- Senate leader vows vengeance for late Barakat Bello
- Sahara Reporters, others shun Lagos Assembly adhoc committee invitation
- Casual workers, another form of ‘modern day slavery’ – NLC
- Importers, agents decry Customs service failure at Tin Can Port
- NIWA faults Lagos Attorney General on waterways jurisdiction
- NPA donates computers to Nigerians in diaspora
- Lagos releases new dates for re-opening of churches, mosques
- Directors, others jostle for vacant federal civil service positions
- Another Nigerian top celebrity in rape scandal
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves jumps as oil nears $40
- U.S retaliates, bars Chinese airlines from entering country
- Nigeria’s Bonny Light inches closer to $40
- Covid-19: More than 1000 die of infection in 24 hrs
- Enough of self-pity Southern Kaduna
- Dbanj accused of rape
- How Dbanj raped me — Victim
- SERAP drags Buhari, NASS to UN over cuts in health, UBE budgets
- Protest looms over governors’ refusal to open churches, mosques after PTF order
- Fresh bloodbath in Southern Kaduna, suspected Fulani Herdsmen slaughter 16 women, children in rural community
- COVID-19 hits hard on banks ad impression
- Chairman of covid-19 task force tests positive
- Uncertainty forces Naira down against US Dollar
- Lagos Assembly set to re-order Y2020 budget
- Obasa mourns Senator Muse demise, condoles family members
- Military arrest fake soldiers in Delta
- Sen Dino Melaye puts Gov Yahaya Bello, APC on fresh hot seat
- Buhari reassures Adesina, AfDB President, of support
- Floyd: White man arrested along with Floyd speaks out
- AfDB: No shaking! Adesina assured of Buhari’s word to moblisie Africa for second term
- What Buhari told Adesina about his re-elections bid at AfDB
- President Buhari gets Senate approval to borrow $5.513bn
- New pump price of fuel is fraud, here is why, says PDP
- Mrs. Okowa at 59, seeks God’s gift for 120 years
- Freedom for Orji Kalu at last
- Crude oil prices appreciate as investors remain optimistic over cut
- FRSC spokesman, Bisi Kazeem, others decorated with new ranks
- Football fans react as NFF President Amaju Pinnick blows hot on Nigerian football
- Latest: Why Sanwo-Olu keeps churches, mosques closed after FG lifted restrictions
- Lagos Assembly says financial autonomy key for a virile nation