Nigerian soldiers have scored a massive win against the deadly Boko Haram terror suspects in an ambush in Borno State.
According to a Vanguard report, the Nigerian Army claimed, yesterday, that troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the North-East, killed many Boko Haram terrorists in an ambush in the early hours of Sunday.
Also, the Nigerian Air Force said it struck some buildings occupied by the terrorists in a bomb raid, killing many terrorists.
The claims of the two successful operations against the terrorists were contained in separate statements released early yesterday by spokesmen of both agencies.
The Army, in the statement by Brigadier General Sani Usman, Director, Army Public Relations, said the troops of 151 Battalion, 21 Brigade carried out the ambush against the terrorists in the early hours of Sunday, September 10.
The successful ambush, he explained, was on suspected Boko Haram terrorists’ crossing point at Bocost, along Ngurosoye-Bama Road, Borno State.
“The troops neutralised a large number of the Boko Haram terrorists, while other terrorists sustained gunshot wounds.
“The troops recovered one AK-47 rifle, with the registration number 1029; one AK-47 magazine; 60 rounds of 7.62mm Special; three bicycles; four empty Jerry-cans, a cutlass and N5,600 cash.”
The Nigerian Air Force, on its part, said bombing of the terrorists buildings resulted in the death of a large number of the terrorists.
A statement by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Olatukunbo Adesanya, read: “On September 7, the Nigerian Air Force, NAF, conducted air interdiction on structures with two hoisted Boko Haram Terrorists, BHT, organisation’s flags at Zanari, a known location with significant BHT presence at the northern fringes of Borno State, bordering Lake Chad.
“Quite a number of BHTs had earlier been spotted from a NAF Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance platform, entering the buildings apparently for meetings.
“The F-7Ni and the Alpha Jet aircraft were detailed to attack the target. Overhead the location, the target was acquired and engaged by the two aircraft in rapid succession. “Subsequent Battle Damage Assessment revealed that the targeted structures went up in flames, killing its occupants.”
The statement explained that the objective of Operation Ruwan Wuta by the Air Force was to further degrade the capability of the Boko Haram terrorists to prevent them from regrouping to cause havoc for surface forces.
“The operation also aims at softening the ground for our surface forces to subsequently move in and conduct mop up operations.”
Latest Nigeria News
- BREAKING: Chelsea fans jubilate with Frank Lampard on Timo Werner’s move to Stamford Bridge
- Ex- Senate leader vows vengeance for late Barakat Bello
- Sahara Reporters, others shun Lagos Assembly adhoc committee invitation
- Casual workers, another form of ‘modern day slavery’ – NLC
- Importers, agents decry Customs service failure at Tin Can Port
- NIWA faults Lagos Attorney General on waterways jurisdiction
- NPA donates computers to Nigerians in diaspora
- Lagos releases new dates for re-opening of churches, mosques
- Directors, others jostle for vacant federal civil service positions
- Another Nigerian top celebrity in rape scandal
- Nigeria’s foreign reserves jumps as oil nears $40
- U.S retaliates, bars Chinese airlines from entering country
- Nigeria’s Bonny Light inches closer to $40
- Covid-19: More than 1000 die of infection in 24 hrs
- Enough of self-pity Southern Kaduna
- Dbanj accused of rape
- How Dbanj raped me — Victim
- SERAP drags Buhari, NASS to UN over cuts in health, UBE budgets
- Protest looms over governors’ refusal to open churches, mosques after PTF order
- Fresh bloodbath in Southern Kaduna, suspected Fulani Herdsmen slaughter 16 women, children in rural community
- COVID-19 hits hard on banks ad impression
- Chairman of covid-19 task force tests positive
- Uncertainty forces Naira down against US Dollar
- Lagos Assembly set to re-order Y2020 budget
- Obasa mourns Senator Muse demise, condoles family members
- Military arrest fake soldiers in Delta
- Sen Dino Melaye puts Gov Yahaya Bello, APC on fresh hot seat
- Buhari reassures Adesina, AfDB President, of support
- Floyd: White man arrested along with Floyd speaks out
- AfDB: No shaking! Adesina assured of Buhari’s word to moblisie Africa for second term
- What Buhari told Adesina about his re-elections bid at AfDB
- President Buhari gets Senate approval to borrow $5.513bn
- New pump price of fuel is fraud, here is why, says PDP
- Mrs. Okowa at 59, seeks God’s gift for 120 years
- Freedom for Orji Kalu at last
- Crude oil prices appreciate as investors remain optimistic over cut
- FRSC spokesman, Bisi Kazeem, others decorated with new ranks
- Football fans react as NFF President Amaju Pinnick blows hot on Nigerian football
- Latest: Why Sanwo-Olu keeps churches, mosques closed after FG lifted restrictions
- Lagos Assembly says financial autonomy key for a virile nation