When it comes to mental health, the topic is full of stigmas, particularly when it comes to black females and males. Although a proven form of treatment for mental suffering, therapy has been seen as a longtime off-limits area for POC.
Thankfully, kind souls are doing the work necessary to put tools into place to get rid of these stigmas surrounding mental health, and begin the healing in a proactive way.
BTW, https://t.co/fUCG1sW5rC is a nationwide listing of licensed Black women therapists in case you’re looking for someone professional to talk to like you. pic.twitter.com/ymoX62dd35— Charné Graham (@88nae88) December 13, 2017
Therapy For Black Girls is a website that allows black women to connect with licensed psychotherapists who are just like them. Featuring a growing database across the United States, the website boasts a goal of "encouraging the mental wellness of Black women and girls" by giving them access to women who can not only help improve their mental health, but who they can relate to.
Founded by Georgia-based licensed psychologist Dr. Joy Harden Bradford, she explains she created the space as a way make getting help easier for young black women faced with debilitating stigmas.
"So often the stigma surrounding mental health issues and therapy prevent Black women from taking the step of seeing a therapist. I developed the space to present mental health topics in a way that feels more accessible and relevant."
Broken into a variety of poignant topics – including anxiety, break ups, dating, depression and college life – the site allows visitors to decipher which areas of life they'd like support in before accessing psychologists based off of an easy to use and regionally-specific list.
Dr. Joy Harden Bradford (Photo: Therapy For Black Girls)
The directory includes the psychologist's website – so you can find your absolute best match – as well as the contact information for the desired therapist– solving hours of Googling, calling and researching that can instead be used towards remedying the mental issues at hand.
As many young black men and women know, the avoidance of acknowledging mental health issues is a direct deterrent to the betterment of the race as a whole. But by making this process simple, modern and stigma-free, this tool is heightening the chances of black women becoming masters their mental health, leading to a inarguably healthier, happier and more free world.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nigeria Banks missing among Africa’s best
- Buhari bears fangs, finally replies Obasanjo
- CBN retains interest rate at 14%
- Metuh’s lawyer back to court after withdrawing as his counsel
- Police close in on remaining 2 gang leaders of Offa bank robbery after arresting two
- Nigerian cult group driving sex trafficking trade in Italy
- Focus on getting fundamentals right for the Future readiness of our children
- APC paralle Congresses: Bindow, Boss, Nyako, Babachir and matters arising in Adamawa
- How FG failed in its promise to unbundle NNPC
- Maritime industry present great opportunity for economic rebirth, says Dakuku Peterside
- Maintenance, repair, overhaul facilities will boost aviation industry – Minister
- MasterCard Foundation to empower 30m young Africans
- Tackling the Unemployment situation in Africa by boosting Future readiness
- Ensure peace, security in your communities – Ambode urges Traditional Rulers
- Smugglers make $500m smuggling people into US
- Lagos Police Command nab cybercrime kingpin
- Rising crude oil price fails to boost Nigeria’s economy
- Army, Police contain IPOB threat to Ohaneze’s summit on restructuring
- Herdsmen killings: Christian Network raises alarm of looming anarchy
- Police nab Offa robbery key suspects
- Presidential race 2019: Obasanjo takes anti-Buhari campaign to Afenifere Leader, Fasoranti
- Tinubu mandates new APC Executive in Lagos to promote unity
- Top Healthy Snacks For Kids
- Boko Haram still control parts of North East Nigeria
- Buhari to receive 2018 budget this week – Reps
- $15 million: Jonathan’s suit against EFCC stalled
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity