Last year, everyone's fave Nollywood rom-com The Wedding Party was released and made history as the highest grossing Nollywood movie of all time. Given the success and popularity of the first one, it made sense that the producers made a sequel which racked up a total of N20 million on its release day!
Last year, The Wedding Party broke a record by making N9.6 million on the opening day and over N468.5 million in sales overall. This year, they broke their own record by making over 100% increase in revenue on the first day of opening in cinemas.
Announcing this success on Instagram, CEO of EbonyLife TV, Mo Abudu said:
"Thank you Nigeria! Incredible, we have broken another record. The biggest opening day in the history of Nollywood!
N20m day one of the box office. Last year we did N9.6m on our opening day! It's double this year! Lord we thank you, we are grateful.
Please Nigeria, go watch #TWP2 this weekend. It's a rollercoaster of laughs, drama and romance. You will love it, no kidding!"
The Wedding Party 2 is set six months after the first film, and focuses on the groom’s brother, Nonso (Enyinna Nwigwe), who continues his romance with Deirdre (Daniella Down), one of Dunni's bridesmaids from London. Nonso proposes to Diedre by accident, and sets off a chain of events too powerful to stop.
Having watched it, we're not sure that it's better than the first one, however stats are saying otherwise! Following suit from the first one, The Wedding Party 2 is hilarious and entertaining and is definitely worth a watch!
If you haven't already, check out the full trailer here:[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants