The overall best graduating student of the Crawford University, Igbesa in Ogun, Samuel Ogunlana, says he avoided campus romance just to achieve his dream of becoming the best student.
The Ogun-born Ogunlana finished from the Department of Political Science, College of Business and Social Sciences with CGPA of 4.94.
Ogulana said to focus on achieving his lofty dream, avoided campus dating by streamlining his social activities, especially interactions with opposite sex which might distract him.
“I did not have a girlfriend all through my stay on campus because I always thought I might not be too committed to any relationship which may cause a distraction.
“My social life was okay, though comparatively. I made sure that I compared and if it doesn’t fit into my time, I make sure that I just stay absent from the occasion.
“My friends grumbled that I was too studious then and that I hardly socialised or had time for them. I also had a lot of complaints from my 100 level days.
“Many who did not understand me will always complain that I was too studious and serious, some of my friends actually criticised a lot,’’ he added.
Ogunlana said in spite of the barrage of criticism, he remained focused to his dream, adding that he waited for four years before securing admission into the university.
“But then, you just have to make friends at times, I just had focus. I related with people who can understand that I am always available for them, but it was restricted.
“Whenever I am busy, I am busy, so those who could understand did accordingly. I am determined in the pursuit to acquire university education.
“I have a strong desire for sound university education and it eventually paid off when I gained admission into the university on Sept. 16, 2013 after four years of waiting to secure entry.
“I was privileged to be among the leading students to gain admission into this institution in 2013. There and then, I pictured what I wanted to achieve,’’ he said.
Ogunlana told newsmen that the journey through the university was not a smooth ride considering the fact that his grandparents were solely responsible for his upbringing.
“My journey through Crawford University was not just a smooth ride, but remarkable. I experienced numerous academic tutelage and learning.
“More so, biblical teaching on Godliness for salvation and going to chapel also helped me with this transformation. I combined diligence and commitment toward my academic excellence throughout my university days.
“The book of Proverbs, Chapter 22 verse 29, says “seeth thou a man diligent in his business? He shall not stand before mean men. However, it is not all about hard work but also the grace of God.
“I lost my dad at 10 years of age, and I was catered for and sponsored by my grandparents. Thank God I am able to achieve all I ever wanted while in school,’’ he said.
Ogunlana said that in spite of his quest for being the best, he was able to combine other social activities to give his stay on campus a little spice.
“I don’t think there was nothing I did not do in school because I actually accomplished all in Crawford University, going from leadership to academics and social life.
“I held the positions of the post of the Vice-President of Crawford University literary and debating society where I seek to encourage and inspire both new and old students are on academics, socials and career development. I was also a speaker of the Nigerian Association of Political Science students.
“I was also the Chairman of Students Electoral Committee (NAPSS) Crawford University chapter.
“I can say to an extent that I read a lot, but I spend most time in the library,’’ he said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult