Alexander Okere, Benin
The Flamingoes on Saturday ended their return leg match against Ethiopia in the African qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup in a goalless draw.
The result of the encounter at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin was, however, enough for the Nigerian side to book a place in the final round of the qualifiers on the away goal rule.
Having held their Ethiopian counterparts to a 1-1 draw in Addis Ababa early in the month, the Nigerian side would face Cameroon in the final round.
The Flamingoes started the game with several opportunities which they could not convert but held down attacks from the Ethiopian players.
“We need to work harder because it was not what I expected. Definitely, we will keep preparing for the World Cup.
“We do not have a problem with that (qualification). By the time we are able to get out in our first match with a good margin of goals, we would be okay,” Head Coach of the Flamingoes, Bala Nikyu, said.
The Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, expressed satisfaction with the qualification.
Shaibu, however, urged the Nigerian technical team to improve on the style of play.
He said, “We are happy that we have qualified for the next round. But I think we have a lot of work to do with the team. When you watch this team (Flamingoes) and the Falconets, there is a big difference.
“So, I think the technical team needs to do more work. This is our home ground but the Ethiopians were more confident.”
But the President of the Nigerian Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, said that the team would reappraise its performance ahead of the next game.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- 3 Nigeria FIFA referees for CAF Women Nations Cup
- Akusho wins Lagos Women Run
- Niger Tornadoes recruit fifteen players
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Nigerian Prince Who Scammed People In US Appears In Court, Begs To Go Home (Photos)
- Hoodlums vandalise 18 vehicles, rob traders openly in Lagos
- Millionaire Chief Bademosi's "Killer" Arraigned, Sent To Prison
- Obasanjo Speaks: Govs Against LG Autonomy Are Enemies Of Nigerians
- Tinunu's Wealth Questionable? EFCC Boss Asks Journalist To Write Petition
- Multiple Car Crashes In Abuja, Four Confirmed Dead
- Woman Loses Her Life Savings To Native Doctor Out Of Greed
- Fayose Hosts Peter Obi In His Lagos Home (Photos)
- Young Lady Drugged, R*ped In Lagos By Man She Refused
- Story Of Lady Who Fell From The Sky After Getting Sucked Out Of A Plane (Photos)
- Ad Agencies Turning Down Atiku Adverts for Fear of Buhari?
- Doctors Surgically Remove Toy Stuck In Boy's Throat (Pics)
- Nigeria Customs Service lift Volleyball Premier League titles
- 5 things women said when they saw this man’s giant tongue
- UK, Nigeria on war path over Diezani loot
- 2019: Tension in Sokoto as INEC omits Tambuwal on governorship List
- SERAP to EFCC, ICPC: Probe corruption in APC, PDP primaries
- 2019: How Buhari plots to block Atiku from moving funds
- Emefiele defends anchor borrowers’ scheme
- 9mobile finally gets new owners
- Court insists Ganduje can’t be probed
- APC national vice chairman sacked; headquarters reacts
- Nigerian Couple In Lovely Village-themed Pre-wedding Photos
- Court Revokes Uzor Kalu's Bail, Orders His Arrest
- Wike & His Wife Lay Hands On Each Other's Head During Prayer
- Ibrahim Magu Dodges Question On Ganduje Bribery Video
- Young Girl Who Lives In Lagos Trash Site Finally Gets Help
- PHOTOS: Man Stealing Female Panties Caught Red Handed
- Boss Who Killed Fuel Station Manager Over N40k Arrested
- EFCC Asked To Investigate Bribery Case Against Oshiomhole
- Pics From Actress Linda Ejiofor & Ibrahim Suleiman Wedding
- See What Buhari's Education Minister Said About ASUU When He Wasn't A Minister
- Another Nigerian Bank on brinks of collapse
- Don’t bet on Naira’s devaluation soon, says CBN
- How APC governorship candidate was arrested for corruption
- Stop playing politics with Nigeria’s budget, Olujimi tells Presidency