Alexander Okere, Benin
The Flamingoes on Saturday ended their return leg match against Ethiopia in the African qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA U17 Women’s World Cup in a goalless draw.
The result of the encounter at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium in Benin was, however, enough for the Nigerian side to book a place in the final round of the qualifiers on the away goal rule.
Having held their Ethiopian counterparts to a 1-1 draw in Addis Ababa early in the month, the Nigerian side would face Cameroon in the final round.
The Flamingoes started the game with several opportunities which they could not convert but held down attacks from the Ethiopian players.
“We need to work harder because it was not what I expected. Definitely, we will keep preparing for the World Cup.
“We do not have a problem with that (qualification). By the time we are able to get out in our first match with a good margin of goals, we would be okay,” Head Coach of the Flamingoes, Bala Nikyu, said.
The Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, expressed satisfaction with the qualification.
Shaibu, however, urged the Nigerian technical team to improve on the style of play.
He said, “We are happy that we have qualified for the next round. But I think we have a lot of work to do with the team. When you watch this team (Flamingoes) and the Falconets, there is a big difference.
“So, I think the technical team needs to do more work. This is our home ground but the Ethiopians were more confident.”
But the President of the Nigerian Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, said that the team would reappraise its performance ahead of the next game.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants