Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called for unity among Yorubas, especially among the Owu people.
Obasanjo, the Balogun of Owu Kingdom, made the call on Saturday in Ibadan during the 26th National Convention of Royal Union of Owu People (RUOP).
The former president said that the purpose of establishing RUOP was to foster unity and assist the less privileged among Owu people and Yoruba in general.
He urged the people to always ask about the welfare of one another, saying
it had been the legacy of their forefathers.
He asked the people to make financial contribution for the progress of the association and prayed for the eradication of poverty in Nigeria.
Alaiyeluwa Oba Olusanya Dosumu, the Chairman of the Supreme Council of Owu Obas, rejoiced with the people of Owu on the celebration of the 26thnational convention and thanked God for sparing their lives.
Magaji Olugbode, the Head of Owu Ibadan, Chief Tesleem Abiodun, called on Owu indigenes home and abroad to always strive for the growth and development of Owu kingdom.
In a lecture with the theme “Impact of Owu in Ibadanland’’, Mr Moshood Tomori, an Urban Management Consultant, called on Owu people in Ibadan to promote historic sites and cultural heritage.
Tomori called for religious tolerance, saying it was necessary for meaningful development.
The convention was an annual reunion for Owu indigenes home and abroad
to come together to discuss common problems and issues that would further promote Owu heritage.
Dignitaries at the occasion were former Gov. of Osun State, Olagunsoye Oyinlola,
royal fathers, among others.
Highlights of the occasion were presentation of awards, cultural dance and cutting of the anniversary cake.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'
- Top Leader Of Terrorists Who Abducted Leah Sharibu Killed
- Ganduje Bribe Videos: Fayose Slams Buhari, EFCC
- APC Wins Kwara Bye-election
- Osinbajo, NEMA DG To Face Probe Over IDPs N33Billion
- Ooni Of Ife: "In The Palace I Was Never Single"
- Rivers APC Guber Candidate Escapes Assassination
- Confusion As Vehicle Disappears From Police Station
- Policeman Leads Gang To Rob Delta Firm Of N30m In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand