Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has called for unity among Yorubas, especially among the Owu people.
Obasanjo, the Balogun of Owu Kingdom, made the call on Saturday in Ibadan during the 26th National Convention of Royal Union of Owu People (RUOP).
The former president said that the purpose of establishing RUOP was to foster unity and assist the less privileged among Owu people and Yoruba in general.
He urged the people to always ask about the welfare of one another, saying
it had been the legacy of their forefathers.
He asked the people to make financial contribution for the progress of the association and prayed for the eradication of poverty in Nigeria.
Alaiyeluwa Oba Olusanya Dosumu, the Chairman of the Supreme Council of Owu Obas, rejoiced with the people of Owu on the celebration of the 26thnational convention and thanked God for sparing their lives.
Magaji Olugbode, the Head of Owu Ibadan, Chief Tesleem Abiodun, called on Owu indigenes home and abroad to always strive for the growth and development of Owu kingdom.
In a lecture with the theme “Impact of Owu in Ibadanland’’, Mr Moshood Tomori, an Urban Management Consultant, called on Owu people in Ibadan to promote historic sites and cultural heritage.
Tomori called for religious tolerance, saying it was necessary for meaningful development.
The convention was an annual reunion for Owu indigenes home and abroad
to come together to discuss common problems and issues that would further promote Owu heritage.
Dignitaries at the occasion were former Gov. of Osun State, Olagunsoye Oyinlola,
royal fathers, among others.
Highlights of the occasion were presentation of awards, cultural dance and cutting of the anniversary cake.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution