– Following the recent Call to Bar of many Nigerian law graduates, the story of a lady identified as Firdaus Amosa who was refused the honour has surface on the internet
– The story has since become viral and a movement #justiceforFirdaus has started on social media
– Sultan of Sokoto, Dr. Mohammad Sa’ad Abubakar has weighed in on the controversy
Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Dr. Mohammad Sa’ad Abubakar has decried the recent controversy over Hijab.
According to him, Hijab simply means decent dressing for Muslim women and part and parcel of Islam.
The Sultan made spoke in Lagos on Saturday, December 16, during the fifth National Convention of Muslim Public Affairs Centre (MPAC) with the theme, “Public Trust and Accountability”.
Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual head of Muslims in Nigeroa/ Source: Twitter
The Sultan who was represented at the event by the Wazirin of Katsina, Professor Sanni Abubakar Lugga, said he could not decipher why the issue of Hijab would be so controversial to the extent that female Muslims who adorn Hijab would be ‘molested’.
He spoke against the backdrop of the recent controversy over the denial of a University of Ilorin law student, Miss Amasa Firdaus from being called to bar last week for refusing to remove her Hijab worn under her wig.
The Sultan said Hijab is not only a mode of dressing in Islam only but it is also an accepted mode of dressing in Christianity and Judaism.
He stressed that Muslims are peace-loving and they should be allowed to practise their religion as stipulated by Allah and as contained in the traditions of Prophet Mohammad.
Professor Abubakar said: “His eminence wonders while Hijab has now become a controversial issue. Hijab simply means decent dressing, decent dressing by the females. So why should decent dressing be a problem? The Hijab is just an Arabic word. In English it means decent dressing.
“His Eminence has asked Nigerians to reflect and see that this is not only an Islamic mode of dressing but a Christian mode of dressing. It is also a Judaism mode of dressing and it is a dressing for every decent woman. It is a dressing for any woman who wants to preserve her chastity in public.
“Secondly, in Nigerian constitution it is absolutely clear. Why should Nigerian Muslims be molested and even denied their own right? The Appeal Court ruling in Ilorin is there, the Appeal Court in Lagos and also the High Court all delivered judgement in favour of Hijab.
“Justice Alooma, the former CJN, Justice Bukalchuwa and other Senior Justices in Nigeria wear their Hijab and then the wig on top of it. The Nigeria Judicial Council (NJC), the highest body in the judiciary has not said, ‘no, they should stop’ which means the Nigerian constitution allows the Hijab, the Nigerian Courts through these three judgements have allowed the Hijab and the NJC through these senior judges has allowed the Hijab.
“Why will a legal school refuse our sister’s induction into the judiciary simply because she is wearing Hijab? Is the law school saying they are above the NJC, they are above the Nigerian constitution, they are above these three senior courts?”
Meanwhile, the lady at the center of the controversy, Miss Firdaus has said she was aware of the outcome of her action, adding that she remained resolute in her conviction to speak for the recognition of rights of female Muslim law graduates.
She added that the law school has not said anything on the case, even as she acknowledged the support she has been getting from the Muslim community.
“There is nothing like laws preventing the use of hijab. When you ask them too, they tell you it is convention; that that is how it is done and it has to remain like that,” she said.
Ex Bishop David Abioye’s driver quits Living Faith Church, converts to Islam on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Woman Miraculously Escapes Death After Speeding Car Rammed Into Her Shop In Asaba (Photos)
- Oshiomhole Is Corrupt? Protesters Storm ICPC, Demand Probe
- Monkey Snatches Newborn Baby Boy From Mother, Kills Him
- Buhari Must Go With Hardship, We'll Fix The Economy – Atiku
- Married Woman Dies Due To 'Wrong Injection', Family Battles Lagos Hospital
- PDP A Damaged Product, says APC
- Governors to Labour: If You Insist On N30k We'll Sack Workers
- Offa Robbery Update: "You Have Case To Answer"
- Atiku, Peter Obi, Others Meet Igbo Leaders In Enugu (Photos)
- Things Choking Nigeria Economy Revealed
- Woman Duped By Boyfriend Of N4.8million In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Isaac Success rated best Nigerian player in Europe
- Adetunji returns to Abia Warriors
- Fresh cholera outbreak claims 175 IDPs in Northeast
- 2019: Buhari, APC plot to liquidate bank accounts of oppositions – PDP
- Aisha Buhari commends Governors’ Wives on commitment to women’s health
- Bribery allegation; Saraki tackles Oshiomhole
- Fresh crisis hits MOSOP
- MTN seeks operational license to establish bank in Nigeria
- El-Rufai begins Islamisation in Kaduna
- Atiku arrives Enugu for meeting with PDP leaders
- Exposed! Heritage Bank in multi-billion Naira fraud
- Apapa’s port, others under siege
- Two police officers to die for murder
- "I Saw Myself N*ked & Tied" - Lady Celebrates After Escaping From Ritualists In Delta
- Excited Man All Smiles After Undergoing Facial Surgery To Remove Huge Growth
- Beautiful Nurse & Engineer Fiance Share Pre-wedding Pics
- University professors earn more than me as a governor – Fayemi
- Lagos govt. now permits hijab in public schools
- Super Eagles will bring down Bafana —Okowa
- NPFL: Super 8 to hold in Asaba
- IMF projects 4.4% in 2019 on infrastructure projects
- Mikel Obi breaks silence on retirement from Super Eagles
- NIMC boss seeks to unlock Nigeria’s digital market opportunities
- NWFL appoints Icheen Women’s Pro-League Coordinator
- Federal Govt. to auction N115 billion bonds
- Cannibal walks into police station holding human leg
- Girls' Schools Fight Violently, Over 40 Injured
- Woman's Throat Slashed By Husband's Son (Graphic Pic)