– Following the recent Call to Bar of many Nigerian law graduates, the story of a lady identified as Firdaus Amosa who was refused the honour has surface on the internet
– The story has since become viral and a movement #justiceforFirdaus has started on social media
– Sultan of Sokoto, Dr. Mohammad Sa’ad Abubakar has weighed in on the controversy
Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), Dr. Mohammad Sa’ad Abubakar has decried the recent controversy over Hijab.
According to him, Hijab simply means decent dressing for Muslim women and part and parcel of Islam.
The Sultan made spoke in Lagos on Saturday, December 16, during the fifth National Convention of Muslim Public Affairs Centre (MPAC) with the theme, “Public Trust and Accountability”.
Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual head of Muslims in Nigeroa/ Source: Twitter
The Sultan who was represented at the event by the Wazirin of Katsina, Professor Sanni Abubakar Lugga, said he could not decipher why the issue of Hijab would be so controversial to the extent that female Muslims who adorn Hijab would be ‘molested’.
He spoke against the backdrop of the recent controversy over the denial of a University of Ilorin law student, Miss Amasa Firdaus from being called to bar last week for refusing to remove her Hijab worn under her wig.
The Sultan said Hijab is not only a mode of dressing in Islam only but it is also an accepted mode of dressing in Christianity and Judaism.
He stressed that Muslims are peace-loving and they should be allowed to practise their religion as stipulated by Allah and as contained in the traditions of Prophet Mohammad.
Professor Abubakar said: “His eminence wonders while Hijab has now become a controversial issue. Hijab simply means decent dressing, decent dressing by the females. So why should decent dressing be a problem? The Hijab is just an Arabic word. In English it means decent dressing.
“His Eminence has asked Nigerians to reflect and see that this is not only an Islamic mode of dressing but a Christian mode of dressing. It is also a Judaism mode of dressing and it is a dressing for every decent woman. It is a dressing for any woman who wants to preserve her chastity in public.
“Secondly, in Nigerian constitution it is absolutely clear. Why should Nigerian Muslims be molested and even denied their own right? The Appeal Court ruling in Ilorin is there, the Appeal Court in Lagos and also the High Court all delivered judgement in favour of Hijab.
“Justice Alooma, the former CJN, Justice Bukalchuwa and other Senior Justices in Nigeria wear their Hijab and then the wig on top of it. The Nigeria Judicial Council (NJC), the highest body in the judiciary has not said, ‘no, they should stop’ which means the Nigerian constitution allows the Hijab, the Nigerian Courts through these three judgements have allowed the Hijab and the NJC through these senior judges has allowed the Hijab.
“Why will a legal school refuse our sister’s induction into the judiciary simply because she is wearing Hijab? Is the law school saying they are above the NJC, they are above the Nigerian constitution, they are above these three senior courts?”
Meanwhile, the lady at the center of the controversy, Miss Firdaus has said she was aware of the outcome of her action, adding that she remained resolute in her conviction to speak for the recognition of rights of female Muslim law graduates.
She added that the law school has not said anything on the case, even as she acknowledged the support she has been getting from the Muslim community.
“There is nothing like laws preventing the use of hijab. When you ask them too, they tell you it is convention; that that is how it is done and it has to remain like that,” she said.
Ex Bishop David Abioye’s driver quits Living Faith Church, converts to Islam on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants