– Cockerill ordered $85 million from the notorious Malabu oil deal be returned to the government
– He, however, concluded his ruling by saying the money belongs to Nigerian people
A judge in the United Kingdom (UK) court on Friday, December 15, ordered $85 million from the notorious Malabu oil deal be returned to the Nigerian government.
According to the Premium Times, this is the first money to be successfully recovered from the $1.1 billion sale of the fantastically rich offshore oil block, OPL245, that has been mired in corruption allegations and legal trench warfare for years.
The counsel for the federal republic of Nigeria argued before the judge, Justice Cockerill, on Friday after Malabu failed to attend the hearing.
READ ALSO: Former SGF Gidado Idris dies at 82
Faisal Osman, counsel for the government, told the court that Malabu had not responded to legal correspondence for more than a year, after another British judge had dismissed Malabu’s earlier legal bid to unlock the $85 million.
After the UK crown prosecution service gave its consent to release the funds to the Nigerian government last month, the judge agreed that she was “entirely satisfied” to grant the order.
According to Cockerill concluded, “The money in question is the money of the Nigerian people.’’
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The Nigerian government’s legal arguments were prepared by UK law firm Verdant Solicitors and Lagos law firm Johnson and Johnson.
Nigeria’s solicitor general Dayo Apata who attended the court hearing and said: ”We are very happy about this ruling. It has been a long road but there is light at the end of the tunnel.”
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had reported that the Presidency said that Nigerian government is concluding plans latest by December this year, with the Switzerland government for the repatriation of $321m looted from Nigeria.
The senior special assistant to President Buhari on justice reforms Juliet Ibekaku made the disclosure on Monday, November 20, at the conversation on anti-corruption campaign organised by the Centre for Democratic Development in Abuja.
Does the recent sack of Babachir Lawal confirm Buhari’s fight against corruption? – on NAIJ.com TV:
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Lobi duo of Kayode, Ogbeide win April LBA
- Fuji House of Commotion’s boy now a man
- 2019: Sowore takes campaign to Ilorin, promises to jail Saraki
- Free spare parts, discounts as new auto loan debuts
- Children’s Day: Lagos lawmaker chides FG on child right protection
- Eschew social vices, be good ambassadors of Nigeria – Lagos Speaker counsels children
- Taekwondo Federation invites 20 athletes to National Youth Camp
- Lagos SWAN names business mogul new patron
- Rangers surrender State Federation Cup to Crime Busters
- Buhari’s minister tackles Transparency International chairman visiting Abuja
- This PDP governor’s confession shames Fayose, Wike, others for criticising Buhari
- 2019: Confusion in nPDP as Saraki, Tambuwal, Dogara, Kwakwanso, others disagree on where to go from APC
- Son Of Local Govt Chairman Nabbed For Robbery In Lagos... SAYS "I Blame My Father"
- Jubilation As Notorious Armed Robber 'Police' Is Arrested
- The Great Rewards You'll Get If You Serve God & Make Heaven
- Reactions Over GEJ's Assessment Of Buhari's Poor Performance
- Friends gave my wife bad advice to ruin our marriage –Afeez Owo
- Bribe To Pass Budget: Femi Gbajabiamila Replies Okonjo-Iweala
- Saraki, Kwankwaso, Others Meet Over Plans To Dump APC?
- Ojo boat mishap: Use of life jacket prevented loss of lives – LASWA Boss
- APC considers Ramadan fasting in rescheduling national convention
- Cholera outbreak: Atiku sets up treatment centre in Mubi General Hospital
- How to fend off hackers while banking online
- Foreign investors dump Nigerian stocks over budget delay
- Ramos, Salah: Best Footballer in the world is injured by the dirtiest player in the world
- Ramadan: Poverty bracket, scholar proffers solution
- Things You Should Do When Travelling With Friends
- Fayose names Presidential Lodge in Ekiti after Goodluck Jonathan
- OPC Leader, Gani Adams Graduates From LASU With A Degree In Political Science (Photo)
- Why President Buhari Celebrated Abacha - Dele Momodu
- NewPDP Gives APC, Presidency Fresh Conditions
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- APC is funding Ekiti election with Abacha loots – PDP declares
- Ekiti July 14: Jonathan uses own experience to warn Buhari against using federal might
- Police parade soldier, 14 others for armed robbery
- Oil prices slump as OPEC, Russia consider output boost
- Musa Asabe: Why Family told CAN to stay away from funeral arrangement
- What you must do to keep kids with asthma out of hospital
- UCL Final: 5 signs showing Liverpool to win
- Klopp plan to distort Madrid’s plan