The Walt Disney Company has just extended its cinematic empire in a colossal new deal buying out 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for $52.4 billion
Announcing the move in an official statement, Disney reveals that the deal includes Fox's 39% stake in satellite broadcaster Sky, as well as the 20th Century Fox film studio. Rupert Murdoch's company will retain control of News Corp and a new enterprise will be formed out of Fox's remaining assets, Fox News and Sports.
Deadpool has a new home. (Photo: Fox)
Looking to seriously shake up the world of audiovisual media, Disney – which already owns Pixar and Lucasfilm – will now be getting its hands on Fox's film catalog, which includes several major Marvel franchises.
Good news for superhero fans, this provides Disney with the opportunity to "reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof ", the company was eager to point out. As a result, we may be getting more movie crossovers in the future.
Further to that, Disney will also be absorbing streaming platform FX, the National Geographic Channel and several TV shows including The Simpsons. The company is also set to buy out Fox's stake in video streaming service Hulu – which most notably gave us The Handmaid's Tale – giving it majority control of the Netflix competitor.
The news has been met with mixed reactions with many concerned about Disney's domination of the industry. According to one Asia-based Hollywood executive, quoted by Variety:
"This is really bad news for every other studio. Competing against Disney is already tough enough. But Disney plus Fox is going to be really tough."
Beyond its existing franchises and platforms, Disney has also announced plans to launch its own streaming service to compete with the likes of Netflix and Amazon.
Proving the lengths Disney is prepared to go to in order to adapt to the evolution of the entertainment business, the deal will be put into effect in 2019.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants