By Chidi Nkwopara
Owerri—The Imo State Comptroller of Prisons, Mr. Chris Okoye, has raised alarm that the reformation of prison inmates may remain a mirage, if existing facilities were not periodically upgraded and maintained by government.
Mr. Okoye, who raised the alarm while speaking after receiving a consignment of drugs worth over N450,000, donated by the Rotary Club of Ikenegbu, also lamented that the facility was overcrowded.
“The Owerri prison, which was constructed by the colonial masters to accommodate only 548, is now holding 2,308 inmates”, Okoye said.
The Comptroller of Prison further disclosed that the inmates take turns to sleep at night, in their cells.
“ It is indeed very sad that in this day and age, inmates in Owerri Prisons take turns to sleep. Some even stand throughout the night, to make way for their colleagues to take a nap”, the Imo Prisons boss lamented.
He urged the Federal and State governments to erect more structures in the prison, so as to help dicongest the cells.
“Apart from all these problems, our inmates suffer from various health challenges and it is a thing of joy that Rotarians have chosen to come to our aid”, Okoye said.
While saying that the prison is a place of reformation and rehabilitation of erring citizens, Mr. Okoye however expressed regret that all the facilities that ought to help in these processes of reformation have broken down.
Speaking earlier, the President, Rotary Club of Ikenegbu, Mrs. Chioma Nwolisa, promised that Rotarians will continue to assist humanity to the best of their ability.
“We known that needs of the inmates are many but we chose to start with restocking the medical department with drugs. There is no reason why the inmates should die while awaiting trial”, Nwolisa said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Nobody wants Nigeria suspended —Giwa
- Who is Victor Moses? — Segun Odegbami
- Ndidi signs a new six-year contract with Leicester City
- Barca director hints they haven’t given up on Pogba
- Atiku, Ben Bruce react to demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s N800m Radio House
- Acadeny for Stars expelled, fined
- How NFF escaped FIFA ban
- Army investigates female soldier for brutalizing niece
- After a year in coma, footballer wakes up
- Microsoft uncovers more hacking attempts
- Another senator docked for N245m fraud
- Ayefele’s Building Demolition: Both Sides State Their Case
- Man Stabs His 2 Younger Brothers To Death Over Their Father's Property In Delta
- Two Women Nabbed For Buying Day-old Twins For N1.8m
- Woman Gets Married For The First Time At 60 (Photo)
- SHOCKING: CBN Officer Who Belonged To "Secret Society" Dies Mysteriously In Abuja
- Thrilling Things To Do This Holiday
- Gunmen Kill Popular Catholic Priest In Abuja
- You Didn't Build A Single Company In 8 Year, I've Built 9 In 3 Years - Udom replies Akpabio
- Strange Chemical Emission Fills The Air In Anambra Community, 7 Reportedly Dead
- Tinubu Not Happy with Buhari Govt., Supporting Him for His 2023 Ambition - Saraki
- Woman Arrested In Lagos For Pouring Hot Water On Maid
- Yahoo Boy Who Hit His Mum's Head In Desperation To Use Her For Money Ritual
- 5 Brilliant Nigerian Students Shine At World Robotics Competition
- NBS Denies Reports That Nigeria's Economy Is Still In Recession
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How Barcelona honors Ousmane Dembele, deal partners
- APC lists 10 sins of Saraki
- Saraki Reacts To Tinubu's Allegations
- Senators tell APC to end search for scapegoats Saraki
- Rising disquiets over Ajimonbi’s demolition of Yinka Ayefele’s Radio House
- Saraki exposes Buhari-Tinubu succession pact for 2023
- UNILAG to launch centres of excellence to boost research
- We will send APC packing from Lagos – ADP
- NECO results: Students performed better in 2018, says Registrar
- Ayefele lied, Ajimobi not responsible for demolition – OYSG
- ITF organises campaigns on management of modern libraries
- Real Madrid on a move to steal a Barcelona player
- ATM dominates Banking transactions in Q2 2018
- APC Says Saraki Will Rather Rule In Hell Than Serve In Paradise