By Chidi Nkwopara
Owerri—The Imo State Comptroller of Prisons, Mr. Chris Okoye, has raised alarm that the reformation of prison inmates may remain a mirage, if existing facilities were not periodically upgraded and maintained by government.
Mr. Okoye, who raised the alarm while speaking after receiving a consignment of drugs worth over N450,000, donated by the Rotary Club of Ikenegbu, also lamented that the facility was overcrowded.
“The Owerri prison, which was constructed by the colonial masters to accommodate only 548, is now holding 2,308 inmates”, Okoye said.
The Comptroller of Prison further disclosed that the inmates take turns to sleep at night, in their cells.
“ It is indeed very sad that in this day and age, inmates in Owerri Prisons take turns to sleep. Some even stand throughout the night, to make way for their colleagues to take a nap”, the Imo Prisons boss lamented.
He urged the Federal and State governments to erect more structures in the prison, so as to help dicongest the cells.
“Apart from all these problems, our inmates suffer from various health challenges and it is a thing of joy that Rotarians have chosen to come to our aid”, Okoye said.
While saying that the prison is a place of reformation and rehabilitation of erring citizens, Mr. Okoye however expressed regret that all the facilities that ought to help in these processes of reformation have broken down.
Speaking earlier, the President, Rotary Club of Ikenegbu, Mrs. Chioma Nwolisa, promised that Rotarians will continue to assist humanity to the best of their ability.
“We known that needs of the inmates are many but we chose to start with restocking the medical department with drugs. There is no reason why the inmates should die while awaiting trial”, Nwolisa said.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- I wasn’t an absentee student at UNILAG – Odunlade Adekola
- Coalition, NewPDP insist PDP must change name to join alliance
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Oyegun, House Speaker Shun APC Congress In Edo State
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants