– The Kaduna Division of the National Industrial Court has stopped the sack of over 20,000 Kaduna teachers who failed competency test
– The state governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai had said that the 21,780 primary school teachers who failed a competency test would be sacked
– The case was earlier adjourned to February 6th, 2018 for hearing
The Kaduna Division of the National Industrial Court on Thursday, December 14, stopped the planned sack of 21,780 primary school teachers who failed a competency test organised by the state government, Daily Trust reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the lawyer representing the teachers, Samuel Atum, had on October 30 filed a motion of “interlocutory injunction”, asking the court to restrain the government from dismissing or disengaging any teacher on the basis of the test conducted in June 2017.
The case was earlier adjourned to February 6th, 2018 for hearing.
However, at the hearing today, Thursday, December 14, which was attended by hundreds of teachers and labour leaders, the lawyer, Atum, praised the court for “graciously” giving the order.
He said: “This is democracy and the premise of democracy is the rule of law, so we expect nothing more than absolute submission by the state government to comply with the order of the court. I have confidence that the government will comply or obey this order.”
Some teachers who spoke to Daily Trust said the ruling was encouraging. “It has given us hope. We hope too that the governor will obey the court order,” Zainab Sanusi, a teacher, said.
It will be recalled that the planned sack of over 20, 000 teachers sparked controversy, condemnation and protests.
Some of the scripts released by the government showed that many of the teachers supplied ridiculous answers to basic questions while about two-thirds of the teachers failed to score up to 75 percent in the grading.
The Kaduna government has since vowed to sack the affected workers, despite threats by the local chapter of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT), to embark on indefinite strike.
The government also said it would recruit 25,000 qualified teachers in their stead.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari backed the plans by Governor Nasir El-Rufai to sack 22,000 Kaduna teachers under an educational reform being undertaken by the Kaduna state government.
KADINVEST economic summit 2017 – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- CJN Onnoghen Saga: FG Asks NFIU To Freeze His Accounts
- Mba returns as Force spokesperson
- Nigeria has a date with destiny in 2019 – Saraki
- Onnoghen: Osinbajo says Buhari knew about CJN trial Saturday
- Ex-NAF chief forfeits billions to FG
- Justice praises late Badeh in court, adjourns trial
- Nigeria envoys dies while waiting to see doctor
- National armoury up in flames
- Esperance announces capture of NPFL hotshot Junior Lokosa
- Nigeria gets 29 FIFA Referees for International Matches
- Petr Cech confirms he will retire at the end of the season after 20-year career
- Confluence Queens unveil Whyte as new Head Coach
- Buttler won’t mind if Football is banned
- Plateau united to play 3 home matches in illorin
- EU regrets after British MPs reject Brexit deal
- Atiku tops list of most searched presidential candidate
- Onnoghen: Fani-Kayode, Odumankin land in EFCC trouble
- About 500,000 PVCs gathering dust in Kano
- Nigeria bourse chief ties H2 market uptick to swift passage of 2019 budget
- U.K. Brexit deal rejected
- NIMASA to address maritime security challenges
- We never arrested, nor raided Onnoghen’s house – EFCC
- Bad power supply remains greatest challenge to businesses – CBN
- Fani-Kayode apologises to EFCC over fake news
- Dismissed Policeman Caught Stealing In Lagos
- UNILAG Launches First Campus TV Station
- 5 Things To Know About The New IGP, Mohammed Adamu
- MC Oluomo Resurfaces, Still Recovering In Hospital (Photos)
- What I Will Do As New Police Boss - IGP Adamu
- How Innocent Boy Spent 2 Years In Prison For A Crime He Didn't Commit (Photos)
- Drama As 2 Police Commissioners Resume In Lagos: "I Remain In Charge", says CP Edgal
- Update On The Deadly Attack At Kenya Hotel, Many Killed
- Atiku Raises Alarm: INEC Releasing PVC To APC Governors
- Single Mother Killed By Man She Followed To Hotel Room...
- New IGP Adamu Reverses Ex-IG Idris Last Minute Postings... May Save Four DIGs
- Okorocha, Six Others Summoned To APC Disciplinary Panel
- CJN Onnoghen and President Buhari Meet Face To Face
- Police Rescue Man From Committing Suicide On Lagos Bridge
- DAILY INSPIRATION FOR POSITIVE LIVING
- People who sleep less risk heart disease – Report