– The Kaduna Division of the National Industrial Court has stopped the sack of over 20,000 Kaduna teachers who failed competency test
– The state governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai had said that the 21,780 primary school teachers who failed a competency test would be sacked
– The case was earlier adjourned to February 6th, 2018 for hearing
The Kaduna Division of the National Industrial Court on Thursday, December 14, stopped the planned sack of 21,780 primary school teachers who failed a competency test organised by the state government, Daily Trust reports.
NAIJ.com gathered that the lawyer representing the teachers, Samuel Atum, had on October 30 filed a motion of “interlocutory injunction”, asking the court to restrain the government from dismissing or disengaging any teacher on the basis of the test conducted in June 2017.
The case was earlier adjourned to February 6th, 2018 for hearing.
However, at the hearing today, Thursday, December 14, which was attended by hundreds of teachers and labour leaders, the lawyer, Atum, praised the court for “graciously” giving the order.
He said: “This is democracy and the premise of democracy is the rule of law, so we expect nothing more than absolute submission by the state government to comply with the order of the court. I have confidence that the government will comply or obey this order.”
Some teachers who spoke to Daily Trust said the ruling was encouraging. “It has given us hope. We hope too that the governor will obey the court order,” Zainab Sanusi, a teacher, said.
It will be recalled that the planned sack of over 20, 000 teachers sparked controversy, condemnation and protests.
Some of the scripts released by the government showed that many of the teachers supplied ridiculous answers to basic questions while about two-thirds of the teachers failed to score up to 75 percent in the grading.
The Kaduna government has since vowed to sack the affected workers, despite threats by the local chapter of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT), to embark on indefinite strike.
The government also said it would recruit 25,000 qualified teachers in their stead.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari backed the plans by Governor Nasir El-Rufai to sack 22,000 Kaduna teachers under an educational reform being undertaken by the Kaduna state government.
KADINVEST economic summit 2017 – on NAIJ.com TV
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- INEC to feed police with N6bn in 2019 polls
- Experts worry over rising cyber security poverty line in Nigeria
- Driver crushes LASTMA officer
- GTBank to increase loan book by 10%
- Zinedine Zidane is replacing one of the Manchester Clubs
- Student Who Scored 364 In JAMB Receives N5m Cash (Photo)
- Presidency Speaks On Buhari Extending 10-day London Vacation
- SARS Caught "Extorting Passengers" Despite Osinbajo's Order
- Female Corper Knocked Down By Reckless Driver In Lagos
- Story Of Abuja Wild Forest Where "All Kinds Of Things" Happen
- Oil prices down by 13% over growing US crude inventories
- MTN secures N200bn loan from Diamond bank, 11 others
- Pastor's Wife Attacked For Brutalizing Her Little Maid (Maid)
- Kemi Adeosun's Certificate: SERAP Drags NYSC Boss To Court
- Fraudster Impersonating Nollywood Actor To Defraud People Arrested In Lagos
- 2019: Tinubu tackles Obasanjo
- Police lost 15 operatives to Bandits in two months; families demand compensation
- Investors panic as prices of Bitcoin, others plummet
- Nigeria’s inflation drops again in July
- Update On How 35 Died As Bridge Collapsed In Italy (Photos)
- Buhari To Take Action On New DSS Boss and Daura
- Thief Arrested While Preparing Pepper Soup With Stolen Goat
- The Leadership In Nigeria Today Has Lost Focus - IBB
- 2019: I’m not desperate to be President – Atiku
- Tension in Abuja: US Embassy shuts Visa, Consular Services indefinitely
- Odili, Ekpu @ 70: Of patriarchs and their progenies
- Minister’s certificate forgery scam: SERAP sues NYSC over failure to publish Adeosun’s ‘exemption certificate’
- Saraki, Dogara Reveal Why They're Not Reconvening NASS
- Man Who Abducted Lagos Schoolgirl Who's Sold Into Pros-titution Arrested, Opens Up
- Uber Driver Nabbed For Beating Up 'Runs Girl' In Lagos After S*x
- 2019: I’m Qualified, Not Desperate To Be President - Atiku
- Man Steals Company’s Products To Pay Medical Bill Of Wife
- SARAKI's TIME IS UP - Oshiomhole insists, gives strong condition
- Hacks For Dealing With Smelly Feet
- Female Corper Cries As Political Thugs Kidnap Her For Refusing To Rig Election
- Oba Of Benin Arrives Abuja In His Rolls Royce and Private Jet
- 2019: Presidency Reacts To "Pressure" On Buhari Not To Run
- Lecturer Sent To Prison For R*ping His Wife Sister's Daughter
- Saraki's Refusal To Reconvene NASS Generates Serious Tension
- Woman Who Survived Rivers Boat Accident: "I Have Nightmares Every Night"