New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) is hosting its first fashion-only show in over 70 years, telling the stories of the garments and accessories that form the foundation of how we dress today.
Titled Is Fashion Modern?, the exhibition borrows it's name from MoMA's last fashion exhibition - Are Clothes Modern? - which was curated by Bernard Rudofsky in 1944. This year, the exhibition features designers such as Christian Dior, Chanel, Issy Miyake and Loza Maléombho.
Loza Maleombho piece right. (Photo: New York Times)
Loza Maléombho is an Ivorian, New-York-based designer with a goal to support the social and economic empowerment of women in Côte d’Ivoire. Her talent has opened up doors to showcase her unique designs to an international audience, now with the addition of this exhibition at MoMa.
Her designs are best described as a fusion of traditional and modern fashion influences with her busy silhouettes made from local Ivorian fabric. Loza Maléombho, so far, has been a press favourite, with features on Vogue, Fashionista, Business Of Fashion and many more.
Speaking to Fashionista about her brand's production, Loza said:
"I decided to produce in Côte d’Ivoire in order to have control and flexibility over my production and because I realise we do have valuable resources to trade on an international level.
I had also hoped to provide jobs and fair living wages to post-war Ivorian women, thus showcasing Côte d’Ivoire’s artistry with positive and lasting social and economic changes"
The piece featured in the exhibition is the WOBE jumpsuit, which was made for Vlisco, a Dutch fabric company which works with some of Africa’s emerging fashion designers.
Check out some more of the collection with Vlisco in this documentary:[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Coalition protests in Ilorin in support of IGP Idris
- Story Of Woman Who Was "Sacked" For Giving Birth To Triplets
- Medical Doctor turned Thief defrauds car dealer N28m, arrested by Police in Lagos
- Olisa Metuh Collapses In Court, Judge Reacts Angrily
- Woman Drugs, Kidnaps Friend After Luring Her To Hotel In Lagos
- Obasanjo visits Afenifere leaders: "We have to rescue Nigeria"
- You must marry corpse of our daughter – family tells boyfriend
- Explore Nigeria With These Top Four Tour Operators
- Buhari To Lead 1 Million Nigerians For Democracy Walk
- Dino Melaye: I Was Never Framed Up, Arraigned For Fighting GEJ
- Offa Robbery: Police Finally Nab Two Notorious Leaders
- Woman Rescued From Suspected Kidnappers, Ritualists In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Obasanjo identifies 4 ways to prevent insecurity
- CBN calls on bankers to address challenges of fintech
- LASU VC reaffirms fairness, transparency, accountability to stakeholders
- Nigerian Govt inaugurates new website to bring governance closer to citizens
- Lagos hits N34bn monthly IGR – Ashade
- I regret supporting Saraki for Senate President – Ndume
- Northern youths urge Buhari, Atiku not to contest in 2019
- After 30 days in medical custody, Melaye healthy enough to lambast Aso Rock
- Ohaneze’s latest declaration will scare many politicians
- 15 Nigerian agencies failed to remit N8.1 trillion under Jonathan
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- ‘Entrepreneurship Key To Poverty Alleviation’
- I Made First Class Despite Distractions - UNILAG’s valedictorian
- Female Suicide Bomber Captured Alive As Good Men Stop Her From Killing People
- I Sell My Guns To Anyone That Needs Them - Suspect opens up
- APC Moves To Stop Saraki, Dogara, Others From Leaving Party
- Presidency raises alarm: Rich & corrupt ganging up against Buhari
- Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill 6 Teachers In Benue
- 'APC Government Planning To Assassinate Me' - Gov. Wike
- Fashola To Lagos Govt.: Provide Land For Housing
- Young Cultists Raining Havoc In Nigerian Schools (DETAILS)
- I Will Die! Woman tears her dress after herdsman destroys cassava farm she took loan to cultivate
- God Is All You Need
- Man Kills Girlfriend For Money Ritual, Stuffs Her Body Inside Bucket In Lagos
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot