New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) is hosting its first fashion-only show in over 70 years, telling the stories of the garments and accessories that form the foundation of how we dress today.
Titled Is Fashion Modern?, the exhibition borrows it's name from MoMA's last fashion exhibition - Are Clothes Modern? - which was curated by Bernard Rudofsky in 1944. This year, the exhibition features designers such as Christian Dior, Chanel, Issy Miyake and Loza Maléombho.
Loza Maleombho piece right. (Photo: New York Times)
Loza Maléombho is an Ivorian, New-York-based designer with a goal to support the social and economic empowerment of women in Côte d’Ivoire. Her talent has opened up doors to showcase her unique designs to an international audience, now with the addition of this exhibition at MoMa.
Her designs are best described as a fusion of traditional and modern fashion influences with her busy silhouettes made from local Ivorian fabric. Loza Maléombho, so far, has been a press favourite, with features on Vogue, Fashionista, Business Of Fashion and many more.
Speaking to Fashionista about her brand's production, Loza said:
"I decided to produce in Côte d’Ivoire in order to have control and flexibility over my production and because I realise we do have valuable resources to trade on an international level.
I had also hoped to provide jobs and fair living wages to post-war Ivorian women, thus showcasing Côte d’Ivoire’s artistry with positive and lasting social and economic changes"
The piece featured in the exhibition is the WOBE jumpsuit, which was made for Vlisco, a Dutch fabric company which works with some of Africa’s emerging fashion designers.
Check out some more of the collection with Vlisco in this documentary:[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- NRA promotion exam holds
- Ronaldo doesn’t guarantee Juventus the title, warns Allegri
- Kofi Anan dies in Switzerland
- NAFRC commandant pulled out from service
- Osun: Parties left out of ballot paper, INEC explains
- Nigeria loses N126.2Bn on abandoned FG properties in Lagos – Unilag Don
- Relatives protest as rescue efforts end at collapsed Abuja building
- Saraki, Ahmed under fire as EFCC tightens noose
- Your ambition a pipe dream, BMO tells Tambuwal
- Why 2019 elections may be delayed
- Story Of Woman & Her Two Daughters Impregnated By One Man
- See The Plane Biafra Leader Ojukwu Used In Fleeing From Nigeria During Civil War (Photos)
- Don't Expose Your Marriage to Your Mother if She Doesn't Respect The Word of God
- Lagos Big Boy, Mark Osigwe, Shot Dead By Assassins (Photos)
- We’ll Humiliate Saraki Out Of Office - APC Senator | He Replies
- Woman Shot Dead By NDLEA During Raid In Lagos
- EFCC Goes After Saraki, Gov. Ahmed Over N7Billion Bond
- APC Already Looking For A New Senate President?
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- How To Get Your Glow Back After Having A Baby
- Housemaid Kills Her Madam By Smashing Her Head With Stone
- Saraki Arrives Akwa Ibom In Style, Received By Crowd (Photos)
- Businessman Killed By Cultists 'On Revenge Mission' In Delta
- Saraki’s 2019 Presidential Ambition Alters Calculations In PDP
- Two Dead, 20 Trapped As Building Collapsed In Abuja
- 2019: The Big Battle For PDP Presidential Ticket Hots Up
- Demolition of my N800m music house political –Yinka Ayefele
- Nigeria’s democracy under threat, says Moghalu
- CBN floods economy with lower Naira denominations
- Saraki declares for 2019
- Israeli PM in corruption scandal
- Lagos State Govt denies privatising water supply
- Sales of pre-registered SIM cards boom despite fines
- I promise better welfare ahead of NWPL resumption –Hon. Odunlade
- Falconets eliminated from World Cup
- FIFA rejects Dalung’s ministerial visit offer
- Dollar depreciates against Naira at parallel market
- INEC Releases 2019 General Elections Notice In Lagos
- I'm An Experienced Job Creator - Atiku
- GEJ To Nigerians: Don't Despair In The Face Of Persecution