New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMa) is hosting its first fashion-only show in over 70 years, telling the stories of the garments and accessories that form the foundation of how we dress today.
Titled Is Fashion Modern?, the exhibition borrows it's name from MoMA's last fashion exhibition - Are Clothes Modern? - which was curated by Bernard Rudofsky in 1944. This year, the exhibition features designers such as Christian Dior, Chanel, Issy Miyake and Loza Maléombho.
Loza Maleombho piece right. (Photo: New York Times)
Loza Maléombho is an Ivorian, New-York-based designer with a goal to support the social and economic empowerment of women in Côte d’Ivoire. Her talent has opened up doors to showcase her unique designs to an international audience, now with the addition of this exhibition at MoMa.
Her designs are best described as a fusion of traditional and modern fashion influences with her busy silhouettes made from local Ivorian fabric. Loza Maléombho, so far, has been a press favourite, with features on Vogue, Fashionista, Business Of Fashion and many more.
Speaking to Fashionista about her brand's production, Loza said:
"I decided to produce in Côte d’Ivoire in order to have control and flexibility over my production and because I realise we do have valuable resources to trade on an international level.
I had also hoped to provide jobs and fair living wages to post-war Ivorian women, thus showcasing Côte d’Ivoire’s artistry with positive and lasting social and economic changes"
The piece featured in the exhibition is the WOBE jumpsuit, which was made for Vlisco, a Dutch fabric company which works with some of Africa’s emerging fashion designers.
Check out some more of the collection with Vlisco in this documentary:[embedded content]
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Ooni commissions projects to promote culture
- Woman Disgraced After Allegedly Trying To Kidnap A Baby
- Soldiers Rescue Boy Who Was Locked Up With Charm
- The 10 best Premier League signings of 2018/19 so far, including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Everton stars
- I am always ready to represent Nigeria –Kenneth Omeruo
- Germany relegated from Nations League tier
- Pogba chills with Messi; Barca rumours fuel
- Homosexuality most difficult subject to talk in football
- Buhari, Atiku congratulate Super Eagles on 2019 AFCON qualification
- Messi, Ronaldo, Salah & the top 20 scorers of 2018
- Chevron fc is fully ready for Eze United- Godtime Emiko
- Atiku begins campaign
- FG approves N60bn for rice
- Oshiomhole Escapes Moves To Sack Him
- Atiku Begins 2019 Campaign, Launches ‘People’s Policy'
- Top Leader Of Terrorists Who Abducted Leah Sharibu Killed
- Ganduje Bribe Videos: Fayose Slams Buhari, EFCC
- APC Wins Kwara Bye-election
- Osinbajo, NEMA DG To Face Probe Over IDPs N33Billion
- Ooni Of Ife: "In The Palace I Was Never Single"
- Rivers APC Guber Candidate Escapes Assassination
- Confusion As Vehicle Disappears From Police Station
- Policeman Leads Gang To Rob Delta Firm Of N30m In Lagos
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Man Collapses In Lagos After Losing His Cash Due To Bank's Alleged 'Negligence' (Photo)
- Saraki Reacts To Viral Audio On Helping Buhari In 2015 With His Money
- Delta big boy 'Solo Pounds' nabbed for Yahoo, Armed Robbery in Ghana (Photos)
- Buhari: I've asked EFCC to account for every money recovered
- See How Woman Overpowered Thief Trying To Rob Her
- "My Wife's Money Demands Turned Me To Criminal" - Suspect Arrested In Lagos
- Popular Millionaire "Kills" Single Mother During S*x
- Buhari appoints fresh blood in CBN
- Buhari appoints new heads agencies, parastatals
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Ladies Stop Turning Us Down, We Earn More Than Many Men Wearing Suit - Keke Driver
- Suspected Lagos Yahoo-Boy Arraigned, Remanded In Prison
- CAN meets Buhari, says APC turning hiding place for corrupt politicians
- Dollar Bribe: Oshiomhole Cries Out Over Moves To Nail Him
- How S*x Outside Marriage Is Exposing People To Demons
- Buhari Reacts: Igbo leaders’ endorsement of Atiku can't stand