According to a report published by the American Heart Association, one in five women can’t name a single warning sign of stroke. However, each year roughly 55 000 more women than men have strokes, which kill nearly twice as many women as breast cancer.
But, strokes can be preventable – if we take note of the dangers whilst it’s still early. Dr Oz reveals four warning signs to help you prevent a stroke.
“After the 20th week of pregnancy, some women develop preeclampsia, a disorder characterised by a spike in blood pressure along with higher protein levels in urine – both of which increase your chance of stroke.
Though preeclampsia typically goes away within six weeks of giving birth, a history of the condition has been found to almost double the risk of stroke later in life.
If you have high blood pressure before pregnancy, your odds of developing preeclampsia are about 25 percent, so make sure you ask your doctor for a screening. And have your BP checked six months to a year postpartum to confirm that it’s dropped back within a healthy range.” Dr Oz told Oprah.com.
According to Dr Oz, a report in The American Journal of Medicine said these skull-busting headaches – which affect three to four times more women than men may double your risk of ischemic stroke (which results when a clot blocks a blood vessel leading to the brain).
Researchers hypothesize that people with migraines have impaired blood vessel function, making them more vulnerable to stroke.
“While there’s currently no cure for migraines, you can take proactive steps to lower your overall stroke risk by exercising, eating a healthy diet and not smoking.” Dr Oz advises.
3. Birth Control Pills
Dr Oz reports that several studies have shown that women who take oral contraceptives may be more than twice as likely to have a stroke as those who don’t. (Hormones in the pills may increase the risk of blood clots and raise blood pressure.)
“It’s rare for the pill to cause a stroke in healthy young women, but if you already have other risk factors, your odds of developing a dangerous clot shoot up considerably.
In fact, one study of women aged 15 to 49 found that smokers who experienced migraines with auras (flashing lights or blind spots) and were on the pill, were seven times more likely to have a stroke compared with those with migraines who didn’t smoke or take the pill.”
4. Irregular Heartbeat
“When the upper chambers of the heart beat rapidly and out of sync with the bottom chambers—known as atrial fibrillation (or A-fib) – blood can begin to pool in the heart’s upper chambers, increasing the risk that clots will form.
You can screen for A-fib at home with a simple 60-second pulse check. If you notice that the beats seem uneven and faster than normal, consult your doctor; she can perform more tests to determine whether you have the condition and recommend treatment to reset your heart rate or rhythm.” He recommends.
About Article Author
Latest Nigeria News
- Garba Shehu attacks lawmakers, civil servants, security agencies, PDP heckling Buhari govt.
- Replicate seamless political transition in Lagos nationwide, Ekwunife tells APC
- Beautiful Lady Celebrates After Graduating As A Private Pilot
- Policemen Disgrace Civil Defence Officer, Bundle Him Into Van
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wed in style
- More Confusion In APC As Party's State Congresses Get Ugly
- Top Four Affordable Phones Anyone Can Buy
- Air Force launches rocket attacks against Boko Haram, kills many
- Saraki, Dogara, Kwankwaso, Others Get Secret Deal From PDP?
- 21 Ex-governors, deputies still earning double salaries as Senators, Ministers
- Kaduna LG Poll: APC Wins 14; PDP 4 chairs
- Police parades three fake currency dealer suspects
- Ogun Assembly passes resolution to establish dump sites across LGAs
- There ‘ll be religious war in Nigeria if.. – CAN
- We ‘ll continue to resist anti-grazing law – Herdsmen
- How To Help Build Your Marriage Even If Your Spouse Is Difficult
- Woman in custody fight carries 7-yr-old son, jumps from top of 25-story building
- Dogs named Harry, Maeghan have own royal wedding too
- Yahoo Boys’ New Tactics of Evading Arrest
- Woman lures boy to abduct little girl during church service
- Falana, Others React to Saraki's Face Off with Police Headquarters over "Killer Squad"
- Court strips indebted Sen. Oduah of all assets, funds in 14 businesses across Lagos, Abuja
- Self-Defence Call: What CSOs, NHRC, military officers, others write in panel report on Danjuma allegation
- Nigeria appointed chair of Anti-Corruption Agencies in Commonwealth Africa
- Imo: Okorocha reveals why Oyegun takes side with ememies to rock APC
- Murder Suspects In Police Headquarters Have Implicated Saraki?
- TRAGEDY! Plane carrying 105 passengers crashes after take off
- Is Billionaire Otedola Running For Governor In Lagos?
- Okorocha Raises Alarm Over APC Chairman Oyegun
- Governor Plunges Into River While Taking Selfie On New Bridge
- Plane crash claims over 100 lives
- Important Things To Look For When Booking A Hotel Room
- Army dismisses Gen TY Danjuma’s claims on Herdsmen killings
- Multi-Billion Naira Debt: Govt. Takes Over Stella Oduah’s Assets
- "Only Formidable Opposition Will Defeat Buhari In 2019"
- PRAYER FOR TODAY
- Over 120 Nigerians kidnapped in six days
- Imo: APC jubilates as Aso Rock, Catholic Church abandon Okorocha
- Jack Wilshere reacts to World Cup squad omission
- Russia to ‘punish’ fans over racist Pogba, Dembele chants